Cosplay SIG...Not Dead Yet! Meeting 08/24/19

When we have had special project days in the past it has been for a specific tool or resource
Most recently we have had “last minute cosplay 3d printing” where cosplayer could come to makerspace and have there small 3d print projects printed by members or modeled. We have also had pepakura laser day where cosplayer could have their foam pep files lasered by members.

In both these cases its a way to show have useful makerspace is to join.

And I will say again.I am very clear on that members are able to use the machines at MS and non members are not. If you have any concerns come to the meeting

This is the paragraph that needs to be reworded. The way it reads is you don’t need to be a member to join the sig and as a sig member you have a say in dms. It should also be clear they can not use the machines as non members but there will be members present at the events to help with their projects.

If it is advertised as is written and then explained differently in person it’s a bait and switch.

6 Likes

Speaking of bait and switch, tell them there are consumable fees for filament, laser time, etc.

4 Likes

I’d like to suggest having any visitors wear Visitor Lanyards or something that identifies them as non-members for an event like this.

6 Likes

Just to be clear to everyone on this thread (@maxk68, I know you already know this), SIG votes mean next to nothing. The votes that happen in SIGs are just to get everyone who wants to be involved on the same page on what is brought to the committee. The committee still has to vote on it.

For example, the Wide Format Printer SIG was created because discussing all the details of which size/type/abilities we wanted/needed for a wide format printer would have simply eaten up way too much committee time. So the idea was for them to come to an agreement on which printer they would like to recommend to the committee so that the committee could then vote for/against it.

So while I agree that letting non-members vote in a SIG meeting is a no-go, their vote is non-binding to the committee.

1 Like