Corten, Weathering Steel project

I have completed a great welding class with @LeeCJones and I need to get started on a project before I forget everything.

Originally I was going to build these out of wood, then concrete but I never got it done… so now I am thinking steel. I am trying to locate the steel in DFW and possibly whoever sells it can make some cuts. This is what the final product would look like, I hope :slight_smile:. I wonder if 12 gauge is the right thickness? I will take ANY tips you may have since I have never worked with metals.

Discount steel can cut it for you. They do charge for that though. They also do brake work as well.

1 Like

Thank you. called them and it’s $15 per shear. I have 8 to make so the cutting is just about as much as the steel… have to come up with some other ways.

Thanks
David

Considering one or two cuts that will get it into manageable sizes. Then you can bring in and at least do the last cuts on the plasma cutter. 12ga steel is 4.375 lbs. or 140 lbs for a 4’ x 8’. A 70 lb piece is way easier to handle plus at least dimension is cut.

3 Likes

Thank you for the idea… I have even taken a class on the plasma cutter (and never actually cut anything).

Well now’s your chance to get after it. In fact you can and some fancy designs!

1 Like