Coolant Change (missed it by that much!)

Wanting to change my coolant…

1. Is it OK/appropriate to use the red rolling “oil” drain pan for this? I am particularity wondering about this from a fluid recycle mixing/contamination perspective.

2. I think my make/model has a drain valve on bottom of system controlled by a petcock (he he). A hose that fit snugly onto drain spigot would be helpful to avoid a mess/splashing…do we happen to have one in automotive set aside for this task?

1 Like

ROFL
the hose MAY help. Plan to spill. If you can find (I THINK we SOMETIMES have them floating about) one of the big “transmission catch funnels” you’ll want to just go ahead and use it.

In my opinion, you can use oil catching utensils for catching coolant & vice versa. In the interest of avoiding xcontamination, clean before and after (really should be doing that ANYWAY). But obviously, that’s nothing official, and others may have a different view on the matter…

1 Like

Got it…thanks. Might just invest in a big funnel and leave it behind.

1 Like

My truck has a nice spigot for draining, however you’ll hook up a hose to it, open it up and then the coolant pours out of the seams :(((((

3 Likes

I’ve only run into contamination issues when using a service company to haul off large totes (300 gal) of used oil or antifreeze. Local auto stores don’t care if it’s a little mixed from using the same funnel. Just don’t intentionally mix large quantities of it and you’ll be fine.

-Dave

3 Likes