Cooking Appreciation Thread

I really wish we could have a full culinary arts kitchen in the makerspace to teach classes and be able learn new things. I would love to learn how to cure meats and make cheeses in a maker-sort-of-way. There’s so much I don’t know and it takes so much time to research and sift through bad information. Plus, I enjoy learning in a group…especially a group that is full of like-minded makers. A girl can dream… :confused:

2 Likes

I wished for this when we moved from Ladybird. A licensed commercial kitchen would have been great but even an unlicensed kitchen could be used to teach classes. I think in the latter case the landlord is the biggest obstacle.

I would absolutely love to teach and take cooking classes. It’s fairly cheap to rent time in commercial kitchens and I’ve wondered about the possibility of hosting an “off-site” Dms class for cooking, using the class fee to pay for the entrance fee to the facility…

4 Likes

This would be bad ass! I would love to have access to a cheese cave and a curing cave and a Pompeii style oven and…

I have thought about that also, but how much would you have to charge for a class that went for two and possibly three hours in combination with the ingredients for the teacher and the students?

1 Like

What does “fairly cheap” mean? It would be interesting to see if it could work out financially to do some classes.

Of course, there are some classes we could do at DMS. Just off the top of my head, a knife class would be great. I know someone used to offer knife sharpening classes with a wet stone. It would be cool to have a combo class where you learn how to properly sharpen your kitchen knives and then learn proper knife skills using vegetables or herbs with the newly sharpened knife. :thinking:

1 Like

$30 per hour in garland http://hourkitchendallas.com/rates.html

Depending on the space and their business model, it could be as low as $15/ hour if DMS had a Top-line “membership” at that space (usually between $50-$100 Per month).

I wonder what cooking classes, if any could be taught at DMS… is there a legal requirement for a educational food prep space? Couldn’t we buy a bunch of induction table top burners to be used in classrooms, grills/ smokers/ fryers to be used outdoors, etc?

1 Like

(As always, assuming I understand “things” correctly, I am not a lawyer, but even if I were, this is not legal advice, etc.)
Microwaving and/or coffee-potting of pre-prepared foods only, I think, as the only “cooking” appliances our lease allows and food prep is right out.

Almost certainly, yes. At the very least, passing Health Department inspection, I would wager.

We could, yes, but we would be out of compliance with our lease, if no other binding agreements/laws/whatnot.

I LOVE that you’ve checked into this. I, too, was scoping out kitchen rental with an eye toward doing a SIG-type thing with DMS members, renting one out, doing a class, cleaning up, blah blah blah. My motivation was not strong enough to get me over the hump. May yours be. :+1:
(what’s the culinary equivalent of “chopsticks” on the piano? I look forward to learning that…)

4 Likes

Ha, thanks!

I’ve looked at industrial kitchen before when I’ve contemplated selling breads at farmers markets for some side money. I didn’t even know they existed until a year ago when I was helping on a scout project preparing food for the community.

1 Like

It looks like several of the city of Carrollton community centers also have kitchens that can be rented out. That may be a better option.

2 Likes

YES YES…knife skills classes! Chop, dice, julienne, proper breakdown of veggies to minimize waste, etc. It’s really surprising when you cook with friends and see how they chop onions…lol! What knife to use for what task and honing a knife vs. sharpening a knife.

2 Likes

About two years ago before we began renegotiation of the lease and in prep for 102 lease, I contacted the City of Carrollton’s health department that covers restaurants about if we could teach only certain types of food classes and would the food establishment licensing requirements apply, I stated would apply only to members and nothing would be sold.

The reply I got from the director was, we wouldn’t need a license due to it being that type of teaching, non-public, etc. as I had specified. It specifically was limited in scope to avoid the need for installation of a grease trap or fire suppression equipment.

However, the landlord was adamant about and wasn’t going to budge on changing the food preparation restrictions in the lease. They didn’t seem to mind about the occasional BBQ we might have outdoors out back. But inside was a no go.

So it is basically a landlord issue and is DOA when we discussed it.

5 Likes

I made cheesecake with a vanilla bean sauce.

8 Likes

Been just dying to try this (well, because I am no kitchenite, I’ve been dying to talk some friends into trying it…no takers yet) but have not for reasons™.
BA Basque Burnt Cheesecake. The major intrigue: no crust.

The recipe.

If you’d like to watch Molly make it:

Molly makes everything look easy, but this just looks so. freakin’. easy… Maybe this winter I’ll get the bug bad enough to waste 2lbs of cream cheese, and 2 cups of heavy cream…

how’s this done?

2 Likes

I’m going to have to try this, thank you for posting! The sauce is made of sour cream, sugar and vanilla. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I keep forgetting to post pictures of what we make before we eat it. I’ll try to remember tonight, but I’m awfully hungry so it’s a 50/50 change I’ll remember. :grin:

3 Likes

Here’s a pic that would be at home on a number of threads!

9 Likes

And not fancy, but really tasty sweet potato hash.

5 Likes

That it awesome!!
:rofl::rofl:

1 Like

That actually looks really good, I would almost Venture into the area of calling that a deconstructed omelette…

Check this out, its actually pretty cool!

3 Likes

Great presentation! Do you know if that is in fact egg ( or only egg) that is being twisted up?

And the idea of a deconstructed omelet!! Sparks lots of ideas!

Ever had French scrambled eggs? Eggs, add sugar and cheese, maybe a little cream, scramble and serve.
I’ve watched many horrified faces until that
face tasted them. And I bet they would twist up like that.

And I think this is a wonderful thread, I’ve been copying lots of recipes, thank Barking chicken for starting it.

2 Likes