Computer Recycling!

As I was looking for a place to continue our battery recycling effort, I found this:

A-OK Computer Service and Recycling
10944 Grissom Lane 740-605
214-616-6909

Looks like they take most anything electronic. Considering that they offer free pickup (for lots of stuff), and free deinstallation, it sounds like they’re making their money off the stuff, and thus don’t charge for taking items. I didn’t see any CRT’s in their pics, but the descriptions sort of sound like they might take those. I’d call to double-check before carting anything over there, but it looks good.

That’s not very far south of us, just north of Royal Lane. (And – north of the path of last night’s tornado, so they should be damage-free.)

2 Likes

Most places charge for CRTs since those are harder to dispose of; batteries are often still free since they can at least recover the lead core from those and cover costs.

The big thing is if we start getting pickup we need to enforce the limits of what can go in their bin. I’ve been informed that a prior electronics recycler stopped picking up from us because someone kept tossing in CRTs into the mix and those cost money to recycle.

I doubt we get enough stuff regularly on the Freebie shelf to ask for a pick-up. I’m sorta hoping that folks with old electronics will just take them straight to A-Ok and bypass the Freebie shelf. Since I’m a Dallas resident, and I can’t squeeze much more stuff in the back of the van, I can take the occasional CRT that shows up on the Freebie shelf. The Dallas recycling centers take them. At least, the one by the NW Hwy bus depot does…

That must’ve been long ago. I only remember that folks were not supposed to put CRT’s on the Freebie shelf because they can’t be tossed in the dumpster, and are funky to recycle/dispose of.