Combining/ editing STL data with Parametrically Modeled Part

I need to 3D print a sample of a project I’m working on, but show how it would function in reality.

I have some public CT-scan data of a skeleton which has been converted into 3D models in .x3d or .stl format.

I would like to demonstrate how the part would interact with the bones, and to do so I need to edit the stl / x3d bones relative to the part.

The part I’ve designed in solidworks, but could remake it on any parametric platform quickly (Onshape, NX, F360, etc).

Any advice on which software / methods to pursue for this?

I’ve started down the pathway of mesh-to-surface in solidworks but so far that’s not working. I’ve also downloaded blender to give that a go, but that’s outside my normal wheelhouse so not sure where to start.

Thanks!

Fusion 360 is not terrible at STL workflows, and I have heard really good things about Rhino but have no direct experience. But honestly I have yet to find an “easy” workflow for Mesh + Solid Model geometry.

2 Likes

I suppose another route would be to find a way to edit the mesh and “make it work” with the solid part… Any program suggestions for mesh editing that would allow me to make specific primitives (ie- I can set dimensions).

1 Like

Sketchup… it will be an extremely manual process but the direct editing of each triangle is hard to beat when it comes to trying to get specific geometry.

1 Like

Big oooooof

1 Like

Fusion 360 will allow you to convert a mesh body to a solid body. It’s not pretty (if your mesh model is large) but it does work. I’m working with that right now so let me give you some tips:

1. You will not be able to parametrically edit your mesh object. However, after converting it to a solid body you will be able to move it, slice it with planes, extrude onto it, cut it, drill holes, etc. You should be able to use it in joints after conversion.

2. INSERT. Open the MESH workflow section and then use CREATE / Insert Mesh or else your STL will be 10x the size it’s supposed to be.

1. REPAIR. Just for good luck, repair your stl model. (MESH / PREPARE / Repair)

1. MODIFY. If there are any manipulations you can do with in mesh format (scale, slice with planes) do that before you convert to solid. (MESH / MODIFY)

2. REDUCE. Still inside the MESH workflow, reduce the number of facets in your model. This is crucial! If your STL has more than 10,000 triangles (and what doesn’t?) it will be slower than you can possibly imagine and it crashes a lot. (MESH / MODIFY / Reduce)

1. CONVERT. (MESH / MODIFY / Convert Mesh)

1. Save it as a separate part/component so you can insert it into your other parametric models. At this point it will be a solid object that you can combine, manipulate, etc.
4 Likes

A few options. Any particular reason you need a CT scan model vs a CG model of a bone?

Also no need to remodel your part. To open in NX or SolidEdge use .x_t or .x_b Format. To open with Fusion360 or Inventor or Cobalt use .sat format. For rhino use .step or .stp

Are you trying to build a true assembly that’s animated and constrained or just show parts placed in proximity to each other?

I can suggest a few software packages if you want.

Forgot to mention you can get Rhino for @ $2.50/hour at Hive3D. You’ll have to use your DMS google account to login and then use Rhino through Remote Desktop. I can provide more instructions if needed.

2 Likes

MeshMixer might help? Free too :slight_smile:

I have played a little with it to modify stl files and was good for what I needed.

1 Like

Is Fusion360 a tool DMS members have access to on the share drive? A while back we were discussion the limitations of F360 and moving to something like FreeCad. I have a simple STL file I’d like to edit. Any recommendations?

I don’t know if it is installed on the JUMP server but Fusion 360 require the individual user to be licensed and have an Autodesk account. A feature limited ‘free’ account is available through Autodesk:

1 Like