Collectively Brainstorming - Fibers/Sewing Needs and Wants

Research a machine you think would work for us and post it.

1 Like

I dont have much to add, just agreeing with the fact that fiber meets and classes are requiring a bit of space, due to both the people and some of the equipment. Getting the spinning wheel/ yarn box/ other heavy objects off of storage on top of cabinets would be safer for the long term.

I have been very happy with the community as a (new-ish) member and hope I can find time to help out whenever we need volunteers to actually move things from old rooms to new rooms

2 Likes

I believe everyone is going to be amazed at the amount of space we are moving into. With a little planning, some elbow grease and some flexibility we’re going to see everyone and everything really branch out and grow.

3 Likes

There will always be large items (like sewing mannequins) that need to be stored someplace and will end up on top of cabinets.

May I suggest a shelf just barely above the top of the rolling cabinets so the cabinets can be moved independently of the stuff on top?

4 Likes

I think that having a couple workstations where the sewing machines and sergers are always set up has worked well. I’d like to see one similarly set up for the embroidery machine.

In my dreams I’d love to see a long-arm quilting machine.

Failing that - does anyone see a need for what I would call a “deep throat” sewing machine? Something with a longer throw distance between the needle and the machine so larger pieces can more easily be sewed.

Also - and this is a real nit … regarding the “sewing machine kits”. Each machine has one; containing scissors, pins, tape measure, etc. But there aren’t any general purpose sewing kits that aren’t assigned to a specific machine. This causes people to cannibalize the sewing machine kits for scissors, pins, etc. and they never make it back.

5 Likes

Re general sewing kit

Agree. I was thinking the other day I might sort out the numbered boxes (again) and maybe see about a general one (not the large everything else box), a real general sewing kit.

We may have a few things to add that I hear folks looking for frequently, but minor

2 Likes

Maybe if we had a deep throat quilting machine… we could make a large wood frame for a DYI quilting setup.

Also, Brother had a single-needle embroidery machine that could take a hat clamp. I’ll research when I’m back to the land of real Internet.

2 Likes

If we’re talking far fetched dreams, I’d love to have a long arm quilting machine. Dare I dream a smart one with many custom programmable features?

1 Like

get a quote…get crazy

1 Like

When I went through the sewing machine boxes last cleanup, I made a digital list of items and logged for each box. We could update the standard list, log contents, then keep a copy in each box so people would know what should be in there. Let me know when you want to do them and I’ll help.

3 Likes

Re sewing box contents

I may have some time (couple hours) to kill this coming Tuesday late afternoon before the fiberfrolic at 7pm (you should come). Dunno your schedule. If you’re flexible, maybe we can coordinate. Or I could do other afternoons… Or barring that, maybe I could get a copy of the digital list?

And I was thinking I might see what it would take for some (couple?) small general sewing boxes.

Btw, I messaged @dryad2b and @Kriskat30 to make sure not stepping on toes with sort/tidy on sewing stuff (haven’t heard anything yet), but doubt they’ll care

What do you think? Tuesday any possibility?

If we’re dreaming then https://www.bernina.com/en-US/Products-US/BERNINA-products/Longarm-Quilting/BERNINA-Q-20-Q-24-on-Frame or https://www.bernina.com/en-US/Products-US/BERNINA-products/Longarm-Quilting/BERNINA-Q-20-Sit-Down-Model would be amazing but honestly a machine with a much larger throat, walking foot, etc. would be super cool.

I do know a Bernina dealer that I can talk to about those machines if you guys want me to get quotes for them.

4 Likes

Heavy breathing Where did all this drool come from???

3 Likes

Topaz 50 - $3500, Premier Ultra 2 software - $2600. The software is a stretch I know, the machine is reasonable for the sizes and options available, and will still work with SewArt.

4 Likes

Steam box for pleats!

Amen to the long arm or deep throat machine
same to a fancier embroidery machine

I think a floor loom would be great and maybe a tapestry loom or even
some small one plXWMr aize

I like the idea o sewing in it s won room

A folding table for cutting fabric would be nice TI expect we could make one
Trying to figure out where to cut out a full lenght cloak is not easy

Basket weaving and wet felting are 2 other things havine access to a sink would allow

Re: Organizing Sewing Boxes
I fly in at 5am Tuesday from Seattle. I’ll see if Wayne will dump me up there. (My car needs a weird bracket.) Plus happy to share the file.

2 Likes

When we have some room I will be donating at least 2 divided boxes f buttons
most are metal or metal looking shank, lots with fake heeraldy on them

If the new sewing machine stations had drawers where all the kit components could be kept less likely they walk around - I think dedicated kits that can bee picked up will help also. Love the idea of a shelf that just clears the cabinets. Keeps items off the cabinets and provides a shelf for items.

1 Like

Ha!! Hahaha! All sewing machines have a numbered box that should accompany them any time they leave the cabinet. All items should be the same in all boxes, and those items are numbered and color-coded to match the machines. Wanna know how often that’s the case when I go to teach a class? Was your guess 0? 'Cause that’s the answer.

And for those of you with the wild speculations- - not a chance at this time.

2 Likes