Cold Cut Saw: Update

So far everything is working on the Cold Cut Saw. We had to order a part that went missing but should be here next week, it holds and pins the blade in place.

The saw will only be available for use on STEEL, not Aluminum or soft metals. The saw turns at either 30 or 60 rpm. With the 14" blades we have that gives it about 110 SFM & 220 SFM. Saw has two speeds, 30 & 60 rpm. See chart below.

Tim @TBJK and I will play around with what minimize material will be (we were able to get a copy of the Service Manual but not the operator’s manual - still trying), because it turns slowly, small material could get into the gullet of the teeth and then just tear the material. But for people fabricating items out steel, up to about 4", this saw will allow you to make precision angle cuts with an excellent finish and will allow handling large, long heavy pieces.

I’m working on the training class for this and the Vertical Band Saw, will see @dallasmagna Chuck Graf if he’d like the Horizontal Band saw included in the class. That way it covers all saws for Metal working.

Selection of speed, feed and tooth angles

Speeds are listed in SFPM (surface feet per minute). Feeds are listed in inches per minute.

6 Likes

Thanks David. This is awesome. Let me know if I can help in anyway.

If anyone wants to install & adjust the in-feed table, that would be awesome. The part is slated to be delivered Wednesday. The legs for the in feed need to be moved away from the saw to allow better access to the regulator. It will also need to be leveled with the base of the vice. Basically all we like is putting the blade & guard on for it to be fully functional. The pump has been hooked up & the cutting fluid had been added.

1 Like

Also on the side of the vise is bolt holes to attach angle iron to then attach the in-feed table. I think the holes are 3/8-16 which we have hardware for.

That’s my next task when I get there Tuesday. It the height adjusted then some brackets.

Will have to slide the Band saw out about 6" or so inches. Probably move it over some but within reach of power cord.

For those not familiar with the Cold Saw … Here’s a pic of the machine -

3 Likes

Here is the first few cuts. Yes that is 3/4" solid square stock. It cut through that in about 30 seconds. The tube, when put back together, you could barely see the cut line. You could not see light through it.

8 Likes

Those cuts are really nice. Can that saw do compound cuts?

1 Like

Just standard 0-45* cuts unless you reposition the material again.

3 Likes

This was really a sight to behold watching this thing work last night. My hat’s off to @TBJK and @Photomancer.

6 Likes