Colchester Parting Tool Question

This is probably a Noob question. I went to use the parting tool on the Colchester last night and it looked like this. It seemed to me that the tool bit was worn down to far to use since the bottom part of the holder would contact the work piece before the bit. Is this correct? If so do we have more parting tool bits? I checked the cabinet where all the other bits are kept but I didn’t see any. Thanks for the insight!

1 Like

That tool is a carbide parting tool, and it’s probably been snapped off. Normally we’d take stock of something like this missing at the meeting, but @TBJK and @artg_dms could probably order some. While we’re at it we should make sure we have some of the little carbide parting tools and whatever inserts we’re missing for the other insert tooling. Last time I was up there (albeit a few months back) we were low.

In the intermediate, unless you’re working on huge parts or something that work hardens while you’re machining, I’d probably use one of the high speed tool steel parting tools instead. What are you trying to part?

1 Like

Aluminum tube with 0.23” wall thickness

1 Like

The high speed steel parting tool should do nicely. It should even cut better than the carbide because of the feeds and speeds of carbide on aluminum being higher than what you’d want to spin the lathe up to IMO.

1 Like

There should be a spare or two in the cabinet. There were some last week.

2 Likes

Thanks Tim. Could you maybe share a link where I could buy my own since i’m Not good at finding things in the cabinet?

1 Like

Not off hand.

1 Like

Try CDC Products in Richardson.

1 Like