Colchester Collet Problem?

Procterc and I left the collet set-up on the Colchester last night. It may not be running true and he said that he would look at it today.

there has not been a problem with it so far. I defer to @TBJK and @BobKarnaugh on this as I have not used it so far.

I checked it today, it is 14 thou off

over what length? and what size collet?
Could be the collet not the chuck.

I checked it on the body too, and it’s off with 1/4 and 1/2” as far as I can tell. About 3/4” out from the collet face.

Another check would be to run an indicator on the bore of the chuck itself, that eliminates the possibility of bad collets. I don’t think we have any attachments to indicate off the back bore though so it won’t tell you the whole story.

we have a bore guage which may work to do that.

the bee is off too

Make that the bore is off too

I haven’t used the new collect chuck as of yet. !4 mil is way off; I think we would have noticed that in the former collet chuck if collets themselves were so off.

Yesterday afternoon, I removed the 3-jaw chuck and installed the collet chuck with the 1/2 inch collet. As soon as I turned the lathe on, it was obvious that the collet chuck o.d. was not running true and my material was following suit. I removed the collet chuck and re-cleaned then re-installed. Still the same problem.

I am wondering if the individual before me who left the mess I described did something? Afterall, that individual tightened down the toolpost half-off of the compound!

I suggest taking one of the precision ground shafts off of one of the indicator kits, install in collet and use that to measure runout.

I was machining 1/2 dia 303 bar-stock. The problem was evident with ~ 1 inch material protruding from the collet.

Already done

I checked & at 1/8” with .0005”, 1.125 .0015 & at 1.5” with .002”. I did some adjusting & found some dings. I repaired the dings but think it need more improvement.

1 Like