CNC Table class request

I am looking for a CNC class to create a table top. Is someone avaialble to teach and sign off?

Getting on the machine quickly isn’t going to happen as all CNC efforts have been shunted to the new x-carve device. On a bright note, if your design isn’t too outlandish, you find recruiting a CNC operator usually reasonably easy for a project like this.

Can you post some details of the project, i.e. the drawings and where the CNC comes into play?

1 Like

I am going to make a boomerang coffee table.

I need the 3 layers to be identical, that is where i see the CNC machine.

The top will be on a lazy susan layer, when rotated it will show a second layer with a built in for drinks and snacks when counter clock wide the long edge will be over the couch and have a small area for snacks.

The drink layer will be supported by spindles or dowels

Bottom layer will be flat.

Legs will be 4" hairpins

If you’d like help doing this on the Multicam I’d be happy to. You’ll need to get your CAD done and exported to DXF files. I can help you do the toolpaths in VCarve and we can knock it out on the Multicam.

In addition to your material you’ll need to provide a chunk of MDF at least half an inch thick to use as a spoilboard.

Curious - how are you planning to keep the long end of that from sagging down and touching the layer below it? A bearing or embedded wheel of some sort?

2 Likes

Good callout, I was thinking about a couple of half spheres of a wooden bead on the bottom and a single half on the top.

I wonder if something like this might work? It would obviously need to be the same height as the swivel mechanism.

2 Likes

That will do, looks like there is a “saturn” type that will be easy to embed and get the right height. Lazy susan bearings are 1/4 in deep. so i could use a router or foster bit to recess the table tops to accommodate.

1 Like

We can CNC the pockets for those. It’s a perfect application for the CNC.

I’d design for replace-ability for these things, e.g. make sure the bearing(s) can be removed, either by not tightly fitting them in, i.e. make them “drop in”, or with a small hole through bottom such that it can be poked out with something if/when necessary.

There isn’t much a chisel+hammer and/or pair of vise-grips can’t handle :slight_smile: But I agree. A lot of these have flanges one could slip a blade under.

This sounds like a fascinating project and with @mdredmond Matt’s help I’m sure it will be spectacular. Keep us posted with pictures please.

1 Like

BTW, no charge for my time, which I’ll offer on an as-available basis. I’m okay most evenings and weekends except Friday nights when we have high school band stuff, but I need you to do the heavy lifting on design work.

1 Like

When you model this, make sure you add a conceptual weight on top to simulate mugs and snacks sitting on top of it and carefully check your center of gravity in the rotated position.