CNC router training and access option [Fully Subscribed]

I am a former DMS member who spent some serious time getting the Multicam back into serviceable condition when I was there. Had previously run a woodshop that I closed down for health reason. DMS allowed me to test the waters and determine I was ready to resume the business.

I now run a one man woodshop equipped with 2 large CNC routers. Have been using a CNC since 2009. It is my favorite woodworking machine and I’ll admit I use it more than I probably should. There are times a different approach would be just as effective, but favorites and habits are a thing!

The type of woodworking I do is a smorgasbord of projects: some are repetitive makes for specific customers and others are truly one of a kind endeavors. Makes life interesting for sure. So does the tidal nature of the business.

There are times I am scrambling to find enough hours in a week to meet multiple deadlines and times when I’m wistfully looking at the phone or inbox waiting for the next project. Trouble is the shop rent, utility bill, and insurance expenses never take a break!

I am such a fan of CNC routing that I like to see others get involved. So when I observe the long and arduous process current DMS makers have to travel to get to use the Multicam … it makes me more than a little sad. After some two years of effort by a bunch of good hearted volunteers, it remains unavailable to many. Is there a way to address my low tides and the DMS Multicam access that benefits Makers and me?

I can teach you how to use a CNC wood router. My 4x8 and 5x10 tables are capable of most anything you would want to tackle on the Multicam. My brands and control systems are similar but different. What I could teach you would not be everything you need for the DMS Multicam, but it would cover a lot of the bases. As for teaching, I have years of experience teaching folks in heavy industry in a prior life chapter. My shop is small and it would take patience to work with my workload and availability. That said, I often work 7 days a week and tend to run into the evenings.

Maybe you have a single project you really need a CNC to complete and you can watch me cut it or I can look over your shoulder while you cut it. I have cut a number of projects for DMS members since the Multicam ceased to be available and always try to make it economical for makers. On the other hand you might have a series of projects and want to learn how to do them with very minimal ongoing assistance.

At the moment, this is all just an idea I’m tossing out. I need to know if there is interest and if so, start working through the details. Obviously, chemistry is important. I’m not a spring chicken, am more than a bit set in my ways, not prone to wishy washy opinions, and am totally intolerant of entitled behavior when it comes to my space and tools. If dealing with that while you wait for access to the Multicam seems worth pursuing, let’s meet and evaluate mutual needs. My shop is in Arlington near the intersection of Fielder and Division St, about 4-5 miles west of Six Flags. Send a message to initiate.
Bert Rabbe

14 Likes

Update: a couple of makers have expressed interest and I will be looking into how to make this happen. Probably would not want to have more than 4-6 engaged at a time in order to keep scheduling of machine time to a reasonable puzzle. If anyone else wants to be involved, let me know soon. Probably will only open up additional spots after some experience working with the starters.

1 Like

An initial group of 6 has thrown a hat into the ring. Closing the group until I get a chance to see how this goes.

2 Likes

One of the original 6 participants decided he was too far from Arlington to pursue the training and associated large CNC router access. If someone else wants to step into that spot, send me a message.

Edit: As of 11:30 today … open spot for another DMS member has been filled.

1 Like