CNC Router info thread

I thought I might create a thread for info on the MultiCam CNC router. The machine will come with software called Enroute, used to create g-code files which are sent to the machine to cut parts.

http://www.enroutesoftware.com/Applications/Woodworking.aspx

Other software can be used to generate g-code for the machine in order to cut parts, but it needs to have a MultiCam post processor. I know of quite a few that do support MultiCam like Alphacam, ArtCam, and so on. In case you are interested in the technical details, the g-code spec that MultiCam takes can be found here:

http://www.multicam.com/mgcodes.html

BTW I used to work for MultiCam and did the engineering on some of the machines there so I am very familiar with the internal workings of the machine and much of the software that is typically used with it.

Thanks,

Alyssa

7 Likes

Thanks for the info.

BTW, what machine are we getting ?

Todd

It is a 1000 series 1-204, with a work area of 60"x120"x6" (z clearance is 4.5" under the gantry)

Thanks,

Alyssa

I took some pictures last night of our brand spankin new CNC router. Here they are:

And the massive vacuum pump for holding sheets down to the table with the flip of a switch:

10 Likes

Alyssa, looks amazing, and thanks for posting the links above.

I didn’t get to look at it in depth yesterday, and I don’t see anything in the pics, but is the vacuum system valved to only pull from certain sections of the table (for when you only need to do a small part?

At the other makerspace I was a part of, the old valves had essentially failed and we were simply putting a piece of plastic sheeting over the section of table that wasn’t being used… not pretty, but certainly worked; hopefully not what we’ll be doing here though.

Looks good and thanks for your help on this.

There is only 1 zone that can be turned on or off - which is the t-slot strip that is exposed on the +y end of the machine when you put a 4’x8’ sheet on. There are no other zones. Plastic sheeting can be used to block off sections that are not in use - for now. There was talk last night of possible improvements, like more zones.

I used to work with someone that currently works at multicam and I was pleasantly surprised to see the router when I dropped in yesterday. Appears to be a versatile unit although I guess it’s mostly limited to 2-axis work?

Nope. It’s completely 3 axis.

Thanks,

Alyssa

2 Likes

Neat. I guess I’ll have to read up on its capabilities and perhaps attend any classes on it that are offered.

If I understand correctly, the table can route in 3D, but it needs to be fed the proper 3D g-code. Does the Space own a license to software that will allow members to generate 3D g-code? I have some mold making projects that would benefit greatly from this if I can only produce the correct g-code.

Yes the software we bought with the router (called Enroute 5.0) can generate 3D g-code from 2d and I think from 3D as well. Here are the file formats that it can import;

1 Like

BTW you can do this sort of stuff with the CNC router and Enroute:

4 Likes

What is the plan on training? I see that some people being trained, but couldnt find any info that was posted about it.

Nobody’s been trained yet except the trainers. We’re working on setting up a class.

3 Likes

I would like to know about being able to cut stuff other than wood like aluminum, lexan, or composites. I’m definitely looking forward to being able to use this.

1 Like

FWIW - I looked at and tried a bunch of options for cutting carbon fiber sheet, and can share learnings if/as desired.

At least for carbon fiber, there are a handful of issues to address. In the end I came up with some methods that worked pretty well and seemed to be pretty safe to people and equipment, though it’s not clear how well those would port to the new CNC router - and I’d definitely not attempt it at DMS without explicit approval…

1 Like

A friend of mine uses special bits for acrylic. I know on the PCB mill with trying to use it as a spoil board, it is fairly easy to melt the stuff into a super glue like substance :smiley:

1 Like

Can Enroute take sketchup (*.skp) files? I didn’t see it on the screen cap list above, but you did say “some of the files”. If not, can anyone help me convert to an acceptable format?

It will take an STL. From there you create ToolPaths in Enroute.

1 Like

Multicam has some really great bits for acrylic for getting a super smooth edge, but these bits are super expensive. It results in a ALMOST water clear edge.