CNC Datum Placement

The normal datum placement is bottom left, which requires your vcarve design to be 96" wide and 48" tall. If you put the datum at the bottom right, wouldn’t that accomodate a 48" x 96" sheet of material without having to rotate the design?

No, it’s just making all the code have negative X numbers, but the orientation of X and Y axes would be the same. X would still be along (what we think of as) the length of the machine and the Y would be along the width.

2 Likes

have you tried the rotate function on the CNC yet?

If my memory serves me correctly, I remember @Kentamanos telling the class to NOT use the rotate function. Something about it messing up the next job that goes on the CNC.

So that would work, if you remember to put it back in (sideways) mode :grinning:

Alot of my designs are fit on the material 48 x 96, last piece i cut @Kentamanos ken had to reorientate the vectors so it cut correctly.

@Kentamanos is this a banned feature to use or can it be used if utilized properly and reset back to default upon job completion.

I haven’t had really good luck even canceling the rotation when someone does it accidentally. :smile:

I think it’d just be easier to rotate in VCarve or just remember to start in “landscape mode”

Yeah from the looks of it, i dont think its to be used for full 90 degree turn of material, looks to just assist with squaring the code to heavy material that cant be moved once on the table.