Cleanup Issues in Printmaking

NOT ACCEPTABLE.

(Edit for clarification: The white and red splotches in the black metal control panel are wet plastisol ink.)

There has been a large upswing in people not cleaning up their ink properly in the screen printing area of Printmaking. Plastisol DOES NOT DRY unless it is cured using temps of at least 300 degrees, so it will transfer to hands, elbows, shirts, pants, etc. And THEN it will transfer AGAIN because it WILL NOT DRY.

YOU MUST CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF.

30 day bans are being considered, don’t make us start watching video to track down misbehavior.

3 Likes

At new member orientation we need to impart/impress a simple rule: leave any area you work or make or eat in as you found it! (i.e. at least as clean and uncluttered as when you arrived.)

1 Like

More issues. The blue lines on the foam are from people not waiting long enough for the emulsion to dry before exposing their screens, and the red or white stripes are patches of wet Plastisol ink.

The tools and work areas/surfaces are a SHARED RESOURCE. If you don’t want to have to deal with a messy area when you come in, you should also make sure to properly clean up after yourself to extend the same courtesy to other members.

1 Like

Wow. I’m not even sure what to say here. All that black streaking is MORE PLASTISOL INK. On the COPIER…

And I’m moderately certain that the dirty sink in the wet classroom is also due to these 2 dudes.

1 Like

Hey, I’m sure the mess on the metal control panel was me. I apologize for missing that, I always try my best to leave the area exactly how it was but I must have missed a spot. It wont happen again, thank you for pointing that out. As for the printer and emulsion stuff I didnt do, but I will make sure those things stay clean too

@mblatz
Your statement makes a lot of assumptions, and dismisses DMS-wide issues with a hand wave of other people’s labor. This is not the educator’s fault and it’s an assumption on your part that cleanliness isn’t emphasized in new member or printmaking classes.

The print making class pushes cleanliness and punishment for this kind of mess about once every 30min of class. Astrud leave no question about how clean the space should be.

The new member class-
There are three slides in a deck of 20 that impress personal responsibility, cleaning up after yourself, the fact that we will find you on camera, and that messy ppl will be held accountable. Have YOU audited the new member class? Or printmaking?

I’ve currently upped to teaching it twice a week- which is putting a serious strain on my commitments to Vector and CA. I am currently the only person teaching it. Perhaps you’d like to teach it instead of helpfully suggesting how other people can spend their time and energy?

3 Likes

And here I was, bummed that I was not able to come in at all this past month and print the things I wanted to.

Now I’m kinda glad that I didn’t…

Respect the use of general supplies, clean your crap up, and put away the tools!!!

1. The plastisol remover bottle was just refilled this Sunday. NO ONE prints enough tshirts here to justify using that much bean-e-doo to clean up.
  2. There’s pink residue all over the sink, brush, and hose.
  3. There is uncleaned red Plastisol on the screen printing clamps, hose nozzle and sink.
  4. Brush not put back in place.
  5. Hose not put back in place.

Your momma doesn’t work here, clean up after yourselves!!!

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth::angry::triumph: