Clay + Cnc = interesting

I had a dream about using the laser on leather hard clay so I got up and started google digging. Found this. This is interesting to me but a bit labor intensive - the slab pieces I don’t quite get why you would need to go to that extent and amount of labor to achieve something that could be created about 300 other ways. The more advanced pieces have me drooling and dreaming.
http://www.data-clay.org/projects/Tangential%20Knife/index.html

I found some info on leatherhard plus laser seems to be a bust. But fell into another rabbit hole of texture pads and textured rollers (the updated version of cuniform I suppose) more reasons to stalk @talkers for that laser class I couldn’t get into Tuesday night.

In my class I’ve made textured rolling pads out of foam, hot glue, oogoo (cornstarch and silicone caulk) and physical items. All good times people. This is just one more feather (and class) to get the gears going.

2 Likes

oooooh, probably do the foam rollers on the laser with rotary attachment. Need to check the type of foam is safe to laser first.

Rotary attachment. Man, I was drawing a blank this morning. Yes, that’s what I need to learn (along with everything else)

You’ll have plenty of time for that now :slight_smile:

1 Like

To build on what @Lampy suggests … might be able to do it with Delrin on the rotary attachment.

Delrin is a good idea, based on @mjefferis work.

We can also try a hard wood dowel. It can take the detail, it’s​ durability would depend on use and level of detail.

I’ve seen something similar done using acrylic rods and CNC lasers to make rollers for polymer clay (e.g. Sculpey).

1 Like

We’ve got a couple of textured rollers that John K made on the 3D printers…

1 Like

Yessss. I can’t wait for CNC testing. So many texture rolls to be made. Also paddles. Yess…the precious

1 Like