Classes for Amateur Radio

Hi. Just wanted to know if we have any licensed HAM technicians to conduct classes for beginners. Can you please let me know.

2 Likes

I would be interested in this class if so. Thanks in advance as well.

1 Like

Thirding interest!

1 Like

@Team_Amateur_Radio – and that’s a big list of folks!

I could certainly take this on if there’s interest, though I’m probably not the most experienced amateur operator here – with my general license I’ve only done basic work on 70cm/2m, run nets, and some light aprs (along with some experiments here and there, which is why I got it initially).

I am not currently certified to give tests, and haven’t been involved with our SIG yet. But I can step in if there’s nobody else.

1 Like

The Richardson Wireless Klub K5RWK routinely holds classes for beginners, as I’m sure others in the area do too. Or was the OP asking if classes could be held at DMS? Is so, I could reach out to RWK and ask if they would be willing to provide them onsite at DMS.

2 Likes

Pre covid, there was a discussion about how individuals could get VE status, so that members could at least provide the manpower to staff the exams. But obviously the world derailed that attempt. I’m not sure if there are standard formats and/or publicly available slide decks for group classes. I think these often have a suggested book for a month or two of individual study, then a couple of days of quick review of the full question pool that individual exams are drawn from.

I spoke to the education chair for the Richardson club, Bob Hill, who said he would be happy to offer classes to DMS. If someone wants to PM me directly I’ll give you his number and you can make arrangements with him.

If classes/tests were offered at DMS again I’d get my General. I passed my Technician test and sat for the General but made the mistake of bailing halfway through it. Scoring the General suggested that I’d have passed it…

I need to get my General so I can snag my grandfather’s call sign (you have to hold the same license type to do that).

1 Like

Thank you for following up.
My son and I would like to enroll into these classes.
Can you please let us know the next steps.
Thanks & Regards.
Vasanth J