Class for 3D printer

Can someone do a class for the 3D printers? I’ve been on the lookout but haven’t been able to catch one.

That’s because the main class for the 3D printers has moved online to the Learn portal.

https://learn.dallasmakerspace.org/login/index.php

3 Likes

Hi @D_Tee! And welcome!
So, yes, the basic training is on the site mentioned above. But we are in the process of cleaning and reorganizing the 3D Fab space. Once we’re done with that process you can expect some changes in the on-line training as well as some in person classes. So stay tuned!

What type of printing are you interested in? And please feel free to say hi if you catch me up at the space - I’ll be the one scrubbing something… :laughing:

Cheers,
Keith

1 Like

I’m actually in need of a class as well, for 3D printing castable resin for jewelry making. I was told that the jewelry committee dealt with that, but so far I’ve gotten no response on their discord about it. What’s the difference between that resin and other plastics, anyways? I have taken the online class for it, but it has said nothing about where the 3D printer is located, which tray to use and even where the correct plastic for it is. A hands-on demonstration and instruction of this would be greatly appreciated.

The castable wax resin has low viscosity and prints fail more readily. From a printer perspective, it’s the same process.

The biggest issue is that Jewelry is concerned about contamination.

You may print castable wax resin on the 3D Fab printer(s) if you have your own resin and vat. You may not print anything except castable wax resin on the Jewelry printer. Jewelry provisions castable wax resin for 16 cents per gram.

The printer has been moving around mostly because we had a ceiling leak and we moved the printer out of the way. It’s usually on the storage rack next to Glass and has to be taken out and set up. (EDIT: Set up by each user, then put away afterwards).

Most anyone in the jewelry area can show you where the goodies are … or better yet - why don’t you come to the committee meeting next Tuesday evening?

1 Like