[Class] Docker, the community grid, and you

Community Grid - Teach the teacher

About this Event

Hands on class for learning how to access the community grid, deploying applications / containers. building images and scaling systems.

We’ll also walk through the process of building a local docker environment using https://docs.traefik.io/user-guide/swarm-mode/

This class does Fulfills the requirements for Portainer Access and VCC Instructors

When: Tue May 22 7pm — 8pm

Where: Common Area

What: Learn about the Community Grid and docker

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/6092

1 Like

@Team_VCC, @Team_Infrastructure, @Draco you guys may want to jump in on this class.

Yes. Please. I’ve been traveling a lot in the last few months. If there’s anyway you’re open to streaming on twitch or youtube, I would be down to assist in setting up streaming for you.

1 Like

Sounded good but just realized it’s overlapping with the Lewisville makerspace opening and Nicole’s get together.

Was this a general class or a train the trainer class? Might be a bit of both but it wasn’t clear to me.

general class or a train the trainer class? Might be a bit of both

The goals at this point is to get enough members to know the system so they can join the instructor pool and teach others.

But not to say that those whom want to learn or just start using the community grid / docker are unwelcomed since its still a bit of both and all that want to attend may do so upon signing up for the class.

1 Like

I’m on my way in, maybe a few minutes behind. Looking forward to seeing everyone there today.

Just got your email about community grid access. Is registration still required?

My usual makerspace login does not seem to work.

There should not be any issues with that but please submit it ticket in helpdesk. We’re working on a few extra features with the grid and doing some migration of infrastructure services over to the grid as well so this would be spiked in with that sprint.

Darn, I wanted to make it to this training. Hope there’s another opportunity soon.

From what I hear … yes, it will be a regular class

We have a few members that are working on a simplified curriculum for non teachers so there will be a regular class. Plus usage of the community grid is granted after the class.

I’d also love for us to get together and have a Docker Captains and shipmates user group at the space.

Docker Captains are professionals certified in docker and regularly contribute to Docker Moby and related technologies. Shipmates are Docker masters. users, and neophytes.

Having a Docker SIG at the space would benefit us all since that is the next wave of technology.

All the cloud systems are already deployed to it, knowing how to build your applications and systems for 12 Factor, Microservices and Docker deployments would go a long ways when 5G networks come online.

Insider’s tip: That’s how they’re implementing 5G and getting content closer to the customer. Well there’s more to it but NDAs.

In three to five years time Google’s compute model (ie PWA, Docker, smart iot tech, and AI first design) is going to dominate everything just like LAMP did in the early 2000’s and AWS did in the 2010’s.

I’d like to see that we’re ahead of that curve and even some of us are driving that not just at our makerspace but others and out in the field too.

1 Like