Checking Interest for a Cosplay SIG

I like it. Particularly because it can involve a lot of the different areas at the space. 3D printing, Laser cutting, machining, electronics…

3 Likes

Exactly, its such a mix of trades! I’m excited to see what happens

2 Likes

I have renamed the Costumes & Props subcategory to be Cosplay (#creative-arts:cosplay). :dms: :smiley:

1 Like

Lisa for right now I’d suggest we leave the costuming and props as is, if the new SIG gets up and running it will take over that function and may be renamed to reflect a new focus. Because the actual techniques have great overlap - more of a focus perspective, there won’t be two groups.

In fact many of the skills needed will reside in two other CA SIG’s: Sewing and Leather. Also 3D Fab, Metal/Machine/Wood/Electronic/Jewelry Committees will also be skills and equipment used, This SIG will be bringing various disciplines focused on a specific product to be created.

@uglyknees you agree?

Ya, we tried before to get it off the ground and it puttered out. Now with Axie and Kris starting to take on worbla classes and renewed energy towards how we can create interest - I see more potential in the area.
I would also keep it cosplay and props for now.

2 Likes

How about throwing something on the calendar as an open invite just to get interested people in the same room? The purpose need be nothing more than maybe getting together to see what kinds of cosplay people are interested in, and maybe ask members to bring in costumes, or props they’ve made to share ideas?

3 Likes

Good idea, how does a month from now sound? I can get some posters made and put up around the space and advertise on FB etc

What day would work best for everyone? Weekend for me personally

I am not a cosplayer, but I am willing to lend my knowledge in electronics to the group. I do build build models, so in a way, I guess I am into props.

2 Likes

Sorry, just realized March 17 is St. Paddy’s. Either that Saturday or Sunday would be good though. Calendar is pretty open right now

1 Like

True, St Paddy’s will make more people busy both Friday and Saturday evenings i’m sure.

How does Sunday afternoon sound, around 4pm. Hopefully everyone’s hangover should be simmering down by then

Edit: I spoke too soon. Sunday that weekend doesn’t work for me after all :frowning:

4pm on Sunday sounds good to me!

Ok folks, I added an event to the calendar for our first cosplay SIG on Sunday 19th March, 4pm.

I hope everyone interested can make it!

1 Like

Sounds fun! I’ll try to be there. I don’t usually cosplay myself but I frequently find myself building costumes for other people, and for films. Excited to meet up with others of a similar mind!

1 Like

I think this will or can easily encompass all genre’s of costuming:

• Cosplay
  • Punks
  • LARP
  • Re-enactors
  • SCA/Refaire
  • Proping

All are just variations on theme of using pretty much the same skills.

1 Like

I’d be interested, Olive and I totally won all the contests last halloween and I didn’t even get to finish my laser musket or laser pistol…

1 Like

Olive? Don’t you mean Dogmeat? Lol great team cosplay!!

Machine Shop will be expanding our plastics machining and cutting capabilities. Which should be a plus to this SIG.

5 Likes

May I suggest that we plan a cosplay fashion show at some time?

1 Like

Just a reminder to add the meeting to your calendars!

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/1893

:wink: :smiley:

1 Like

Another reminder that we have our initial Cosplay SIG meet and greet this Sunday (19th) evening for anyone interested in the group!!

Hope to see you there :slight_smile:

2 Likes