Cheaper source than metal supermarket?

Anyone have a better place to buy square tube stock? Is metal supermarkets more expensive than others or about the same?

1 Like

Surplus is always fun

Ace Iron and Metal is a scrap yard. Great prices, if they have what you want. Really nice people.

They are on Irving Blvd, about 2 miles west of Mockingbird. If you want better instructions, PM me.

1 Like

If you are looking for aluminum:

For steel:
http://www.garlandsteel.com/

Looking for square steel tube. Supermarkets gave me a $277 quote on around 135 feet of metal

Also king metals. You didn’t specify size, it that pricing doesn’t seem out of normal unless it is for 1/2 or 3/4 tube.

1 Like

1" tube, 16g. For some reason I had a sheet that was saying around 0.50 a foot was normal give or take 0.15

Give king metals a call, their on line pricing isn’t showing 20 or 24 foot sections, but their 12 foot section is showing as $11.20

Kings Metal puts you at just under a $100 for 6, 24ft sticks @14.93 each. They will also cut them in half to make them more manageable for transport if need be.

http://www.kingmetals.com/Catalog/ItemContent.aspx?ItemNumber=11350&CatalogId=c39&CatalogDetailId=285&NSM=Y

So weird, sometimes I just can’t find those listings on their site.

Check with Garland steel.

What size square tube and wall thickness? What’s longest length you can carry?

Machine Shop gets a lot of our metal at Discount Steel in West Tarrant county.

2 Likes

I need
4x 10’ of a thicker 1" steel square tube (for legs)
8x 10’ of thinner 1" steel square tube
12x 1’ of thinner 1" steel square tube
And ~5-6’ of thick walled square tube that has a large enough inner diameter to slip nicely (not hammer fit, not sloppy) over the thicker square tube legs.

It’s to make a small “pop up” tent for our wasteland setup. It’s just going to have tent coverings over it

Discount Steeel Square tubingYou’ll at least be able to compare wall thickness to find correct size for larger tube. Not sure how much difference in pricing,

May want to consider 3D printing spacer at top of large tube, recommend 100% fill fro strength to take up slop, have go down inside about an inch and have one at end of tube that forms larger OD so it takes up slop at bottom. This should minimize wobble yet slide freely. Willing to help design and fabricate (soft spot for Cruel Bus endeavor) - in fact could make steel and tack on. When you see me, let’s talk, this is very doable, I’d suggest we can also put in pin holes for a bolt to lock in up and down position.

You’re luck on the 10’ lengths, they sell it is 20" lengths which is cheaper an open free cut per piece, so they make you 10’ pieces and easier to transport.

You can do the order pickup from Online Metals in Grand Prairie.

Go online and sign-up. Monthly you get at least 15% off code, throughout the month you’ll several 20% and sometimes 25% off code.

Not all items will show-up as Will Call. If it doesn’t. record the information and call the order in and tell them you want it as Will Call. How long it takes varies depending on when a truckload of material is moved from the location it as at till it arrives at GP. But between the % off code and no shipping I’ve found it well worth it. Of course it’s only about 2 miles form me and I go near it several times a week.

2 Likes