Cheap oil changes & insurance coverage

I seem to remember it being an insurance thing not a legal statue. We had to have our policy modified in order for us to even have automotive IIRC.
@Nick @Brandon_Green @AlexRhodes @Robert_Davidson
These guys IIRC handled that situation.

2 Likes

Take a look inside the RIGHT door of the green tool box and READ (yes READ) the document that is taped to the inside of that door.

Insurance wise we are covered to do any and all automotive repairs.

If you hear or know of someone in doubt please direct them to this document.

please do not remove said document.

4 Likes

That’s great news!

What else is impeding automotive classes teaching oil changes?

And where can I find this document on the wiki?

We have had oil change classes in the past among other classes.

Are you volunteering to teach ?

I’m don’t know if our insurance policy is published on the wiki - that is not my dept.

2 Likes

That’s great news as well. There is some uncertainty about oil change and other types of classes being allowed legally or under the current insurance policy.

Who would have the information on the insurance policy? And were the classes forced to stop or did they just fizzle out? And as chair you are responsible for the wiki and minutes.

@Team_Education

Is there anything in progress defining which types of classes are possible in each committee under the current insurance policy?

I sent over the policy to the board.

I have seen all the policys and I don’t believe this to be true but the board will handle it.

I have sent them all the DMS’s insurance policys and they can set the risk tolerance for the organization.

1 Like

I don’t know where you heard this - but it isn’t true.

Classes have peeks and valleys. Not just in automotive.

I don’t know who holds the “key” to viewing the insurance policy - that was a very “sensitive” topic about 3 years ago, before the days of so called transparency.

I’d suggest you take a moment the next time you are at the Space and read the page from the policy that is inside the right door of the green cabinet.

I will offer to teach the class. Will put something on the schedule in the next week.

1 Like

Here we go again…
According to Alan Wan we legally are.

At one point our insurance had us categorized as an automotive repair training facility and shared workshop. It’s probably still the same unless we’ve changed insurance since then. Keep in mind that a claim on our insurance would likely be the end of the space. Whatever you’re doing please stay safe.

1 Like

How big do we have to be before this isn’t true?

2 Likes

We really need to be careful about saying this. Hyperbole leads to desensitization of real issues.

With that said, we should say “don’t get hurt at DMS” . It won’t be good for them, or other people at the space.

That doesn’t really matter so much. It doesn’t cover members. Don’t hurt nonmembers. :wink:

That’s not really how it works. If you want to interact with anyone else you’ll need the insurance like leases and contracts or being on premises elsewhere for accepting a donation. When my previous employer donated furniture and the three phase UPS they required proof of insurance before we could enter to get it. If you outright owned the building and interacted with nobody else then maybe you could get by without insurance.

I think at one time work on cars was pretty much limited to your car, ie the owner of. Yes you could get help, but the owner has to be there. Keeps a member from running an auto repair shop out of DMS - and the insurance headaches there of.

2 Likes

I’m confused by your answer. I did not suggest not having insurance. We have insurance both for the space and a separate one for the auto area. I’m just questioning the idea that if we have one hit against the insurance that it would close us down. If that is the case, we need better insurance.

1 Like

This clarity will need to come from the BOD.

1 Like

Where did you hear this as to my knowledge it is not true?

On the door of the auto toolbox there’s a policy/invoice/something from the insurance that has two line items, the spaces insurance and a line specifically for automotive. I was told this was added later to make it explicit that we had insurance for automotive work.

Maybe someone at the space can post a picture.

2 Likes

They’re not separate or at least they weren’t at the time I was involved. The insurer was simply aware of our activities and didn’t exclude them like most policies would.

I’ll get back to you on that. A flow chart will help convey the situation. Now to find good flow chart software…