Change Username

How do I change my username on here? It’s listed as my maiden name and when I go to my profile it doesnt allow me to edit it. I’m not tech savvy so maybe I’m missing something obvious?

Is it the _cullom part you’re trying to change? If so that may require someone with moderator privs or DB access perhaps.

That field isn’t typically changeable.

Paging @Team_Moderators to see if they can assist

@Nanette_Wilson what would you change it to if you could?

I did not know that can be changed even by admins.

Otherwise John_Marlow would be Chris_Marlow…

2 Likes

You can change the name associated with your Talk account (i.e., you can change the Wilson descriptor) by changing your profile but the only way to change the actual Talk account is to create a new account with the correct words (and then a Talk Admin can delete the old one).

The system has no way of associating those two accounts so you will lose any history you have attached to @Nanette_Wilson; emails, bookmarks, etc.

EDIT: @mreynolds … although moderators can be Talk Admins, those two are not synonymous. Our paradigm is that typically only accounts that begin with @Adm_ have Talk Admin privileges.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply. So it would be like starting over from scratch on Talk? I guess I’ll just keep it this way then cause I don’t want to lose everything

1 Like

Yeah likely.
It depends a little bit on what version of the forum software we’re on. For a very long time changing the username would break every mention and referral links and everything else, so they just didn’t allow it. I think that in a relatively recent version they allowed username changes, but I don’t know if we’re on that version and it’s likely that only a full admin could do that, of which I think we’ve only got like two :confused:

But yeah TLDR for much the same reason that we don’t allow username changes for makerspace AD/login accounts, we don’t generally allow them on the forum either.

I’m not even sure how it got set to my maiden name…must have auto filled something? Oh well I’ll just have to live with it lol…thanks again

I can change your username. DM me what you want it to be.

1 Like

Hmmm … makes me think about mine … :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just say the word! …

Change made … Nanette_Wilson … arise!

3 Likes