Champ car after race

Any photos, videos, or stories for us that didn’t make it there?

2 Likes

We had a great race, although it was a rough start with the clutch going out during practice on Friday afternoon. Chuck found a replacement in San Antonio and set off to pick it up while the rest of the team dropped the transmission in the parking lot. We got the new clutch in, but couldn’t get the transmission back in with the car on jackstands. We called it a night and then picked it up again in the morning. The track shop generously let us use their lift and we got it back in. We ran a few hours of the race on Saturday and the whole seven hour race on Sunday. We finished 27th out of 46 cars. It was a lot of fun and also an incredible learning experience. Big thanks to my girlfriend kmorrowphoto for the incredible pictures!

Tech Inspection

The Paddock

Broken down - best to get this out of the way on Friday!

Race Day!!!
669 - Jay J’s Hong Kong Phooey Miata

350 - Mike K’s 350Z

11 Likes

Great to see he made it!

Car looks fast! Is that a CF hatch?

Love the photos!

Sorry I had to miss this one! Looks like it was mostly a good time :slight_smile:

I’m jealous. I wish i could have been there.

1 Like

When is the next motorsports event?

ChampCar doesn’t allow carbon fiber, so no. We had to go back to the old hood on the 240 as well.

3 Likes

We’re talking about our next race. There’s a Champcar race in September and a Lemons race in November.

2 Likes

Did it run out of clutch material or just stopped being able to hold?

A chunk of clutch material broke off. A few pieces of it fell out of the bell housing when we started to back the transmission out.

1 Like

Build. Race. Break. Build. Repeat.

1 Like

Here’s the clutch after removal.

More race pictures.

4 Likes

How thick was the clutch lining left?
Factory clutch?

The clutch was new.

I’d say that has some life left.:rofl:

“Power” shifting? :blankspace:

Good job getting everything fixed and back on track.

We were out there running and I almost swapped paint with the Miata at least once.

Was this a result of improper installation/use or a failure of the compound? Have never seen a new disc fail like that, thanks.

Or even foreign material stuck to or embedded into the flywheel?

1 Like