Chainsaw for Lumber

download

1 Like

where do you buy them, and can it do crosscuts? (which is what Iā€™m really after)

Crosscut saw

5 Likes

Dang good idea Marshall! Gloves or not?

2 Likes

I already own a two-man saw like that: Itā€™s a workout on anything over 20" diameter or so.

Even better plan have people pay you for Cross fit training using a Crosscut saw!

In reality no DMS is not in the business of loaning tools out if you need a 36 inch chain saw your better served buying one yourself.

Woodcraft

Or google for other options

Might be able to find an older at a flea market

Learn sharpening is key to performance of these saws

Sometimes old tools are better than new.

1 Like

Genuine question. How long does it take a normal person pair to get through a 40in tree truck with one of those saws?

The only people I had ever seen use those was the ā€œconclaveā€ team in college. They did the Southern Forestry Conclaveā€¦ and I get the feeling they were probably quite a bit quicker than the average person.

See! See!!! Holding the other endā€¦uh huh.

I feel vindicated now :ā€“)

1 Like

As a woodworker you should know that is the rip saw version

We have been discussing the cross cut model

Two entirely different process, shame on youšŸ™„

5 Likes

Now I feel anti-vindicated.

2 Likes

This is why I love the space.

2 Likes

I have cut many trees down that were >36" in diameter. Around Texas, only the first 8 feet of the trunk tend to be bigger than 40" in diameter. Here is my process to deal with really big trees after they are on the ground.

A decent chainsaw with a sharp blade makes a world of difference. Stihl, Poulan, etc, with a 20 inch bar. Cut the trunk about 2/3 depth of the bar all the way around. For safety, the trunk may need to be rotated. Another thing to watch for is decay in the middle, which can cause a kickback.

Now that the trunk is cut in, cut the max depth of the bar. This will give you 20 inches towards the middle all the way around. Unless the tree is absolutley massive, a a few standard wedges and sledgehammer will break the pancake off. Iā€™d say anything bigger than 48" in diameter will need bigger equipment.

I had a tree that was 56" in diameter at the base. We made two V cuts to allow the chainsaw to reach far enough in to cut off the pancake. It was an oak tree, so it wasnā€™t absolutely necessary to obtain every board foot. The pancake was thick enough that I could cut out the half V on either side and still have a 3" pancake.

All that said, its not a requirement to have a 36" bar to cut big trees. If you are doing it for a living, thatā€™s one thing. We are not here, so do what you need to do and get it taken care of.

1 Like

oh i can get the biscuits out no problem. Itā€™s getting crosscuts (for projects like live edge table) that is easier with a longer blade

While it would be great to have a 36ā€ chainsaw available on the rare instances where an opportunity like this comes up. I agree itā€™s not in the spirit of the Makerspace to have this as an available tool for external use. We made due as best we could in true Makerspace fashion. And yes, on Sunday the fierce ladies of Makerspace whipped out the handsaw. Itā€™s not for the faint of heart. I ripped a section of my hand open when I tried to help slice a stump in half.

6 Likes

So I get the want for a larger saw bar for a 36" tree. But, a 20" bar can cut sections out of a 36" tree. It just takes multiple cuts and the use of wedges to keep the bar from binding.

Also if your looking for mobile saw milling in Dallas, here is a option:

I have a 36" bar with an Alaskan mill on my big saw. It will cut slabs from about a 30" diameter tree. Iā€™d be hesitant to let anyone without significant chainsaw experience use it, much less rent it. It can go bad real fast on that thing. I could be available this Sunday to help cut it up though. However, if this is the place with the neighbor complaining about chainsaw noise, we might not get much done. Sheā€™s a beast.

2 Likes

the 36" bar makes the larger crosscut milling easier, since I donā€™t have to line up 2 separate cuts. And the idea is to save money (and have fun) by doing it myself

I have some experience with chainsaws (2 summers on a tree removal crew in Philmont Scout Ranch, plus several years removing limbs with an electric chainsaw for whatever thatā€™s worth).

And I feel that this might have been due to the Superbowl. I was there until almost 8 p.m. on Saturday, and no one said a thing

made this bench with nothing but a chainsaw

1 Like