Chain/scale maille interest and level check

ok folks im looking at doing another class but this one will be an actual class not just Q&A and technical problems but i dont know what level i should be aiming at beginners that have never tried it before or intermediate level that already know the basics and want to learn a few new weaves and best practices any thoughts/requests?

2 Likes

I would love a beginner’s class. A couple of goals are to learn to make chain mail bezels and captured beads.

well i do know a few captures/stabilizations/bezels and i think it might be fun so thanks for the input however since this wont happen until near the end of the month if you are looking for something more immediate you might try mailleartisans.org or CandTdesigns.com for their phaedra bead capture

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! I will check those out. :slight_smile:

I will take any type of class, beginner or intermediate. Interested in bezel. Thanks

I’m certainly interested in this!

I am interested.

Captured bead is on my to do list

I understand Aspect Ratio. I am lousy at the application of the equation.

just to make sure we are talking about the same thing by “bezel” you bunch do mean a piece of chain that borders a larger piece (like an edge stabilization piece) or do you mean a large capture style weave that is meant to hold an object ridgid (like a picture frame)

is there anything in particular you are interested in learning?

lol sry but let me stop you right there i dont want anyone getting the wrong idea ive been doing this for about a year and do not consider myself anywhere near mastery in addition i am a TERRIBLE math-er what captures i know either do not depend on exact measurements, use educated guesswork, or are done by using a source for ring sizes (like a kit or a listing on mailleartisans.org)i do however know people better at it than i am and i am more than happy to put you in touch with them or you could save that for the next Q&A when i plug DMS into their minds :stuck_out_tongue:

Captured bead is fine.

The AR thing is something I will get better with over time. No worries.

Hands on, hands on, hands on.

1 Like

My goal would be to make something like this

1 Like

For me, it’s the basics. I’ve looked at it multiple times, but I think without someone directing me what to do I’m just lost.

Wow. You have expanded the possibilities. I was just thinking in reference to jewelry. To capture a piece, and in the process add to the beauty of the design.
This is one I did. But it is only good for one size Rivoli. I would like to do freeform cabachons.

julie: i can def teach a few weaves that can do that :slight_smile:

Finire: i know what you mean its one of the reasons i rely so heavily on seed pieces

Linda: that star is actually pretty darn swell for different sizes have you considered adding more points to the star? further i have never tried cabachons myself but im reasonably certain the weaves i know could accomplish it if scaled appropriately and at this point i think its safe to say captures will be on the list of subjects

so far im hearing:
Captures
weaves
basics/best practices

If time/date are open for me, I’m in for any maille classes that are within my budget.

ok reality can not defeat me i know that i responded to this one and im not less drunk yet so i shall still condider this as a later time

1 Like

Here is one Andre Miron made. He said he will make a tutorial. When he does i will get and share with Makerspace.

2 Likes

Oh, I
And if when I get the tut I can teach the class, but since Andre is the creator, anyone taking the class will gave to get the tut from him also. Sorry, didn’t clarify that in my last message.
Linda

ok folks looks like its gonna happen on the 23rd in the afternoon round 8 and im gonna schedule it for 2.5hrs what follows is the listing i intend shortly to submit:

Come join me for what i hope will be an informative class on chainmaille. I plan to pass on some knowledge and hopefully get some new people hooked on my addictive hobby!

Attendees should bring any supplies they prefer to work with. All weaves will require only one size ring and i will bring a limited supply of aluminium rings for sharing (recommend donation for provided consumables $2)

Class topics:
basics/best practices

• ergonomics/safety
  • seed pieces
  • tool selection
  • useful resources
    weaves
  • European 4 in 1
  • Half persian
  • alligator back
  • 2 in 2
  • Ladder
  • more if time and supplies allow
    object captures
  • weaves (listed above)
  • attachments
  • adjustments
    project advice

Class souvineers:
2 swell seed pieces you will make yourself that can be used to start future projects

3 Likes