Ceramics: Wheel basics classes

Hi there,

Question: I took Fundamentals of the wheel a few weeks ago and paid $25. There is one listed with a different instructor that is free and clay is provided.

I signed up for the free one for tomorrow night cause I feel the $25 didn’t prepare me well enough to be signed off on and I want some extra help with centering etc.

Why is there one class charginga higher rate and now one that is free where the classes seem the same? That’s confusing for members. Shouldn’t all wheel fundamentals be priced the same even though instructors may differ?

Just wondering about the larger fee vs the free class.

-Gena

This is a Makerspace policy rather than a Ceramics policy - class charges vary by instructor. Some instructors supply their own materials and charge the student for their instruction. Other instructors use Makerspace Materials and get paid by the Makerspace. I ended up taking two different introductory classes, the 25.00 class and another 5.00/Free class. I learned different skills from each instructor and I have been able to apply the skills as I progressed as a potter.

5 Likes

Can’t speak to these classes specifically, but often it comes down to a few things:

• Teacher credentials/time/etc.
    • Some teachers are licensed, or are taking their time out of work days/etc to teach
    • Others use the payment to help prevent people from no-showing, which sadly tends to happen a lot on free classes.
  • If the class is honorarium (DMS gives the option of paying teachers with more than 3 people who show up to the class 60$ (I think that’s the right number) per class within limits), some instructors don’t charge because they get paid by DMS, others prefer to charge for the class.
3 Likes

Thanks- I’m new to ceramics and want to enjoy the medium. I didn’t know there were multiple instructors who teach wheel so I was somewhat confused seeing these classes and different prices.

2 Likes

Honorarium is still $50/class.