Ceramics **Needs Attention** Shelf - 2022

Items on Need attention shelf and glaze shelf. Please see notes

hi!! I wonā€™t be around for a couple of days but the 18 pieces (9 plates and 9 heads with holes) just have tmix on the bottoms and glazed with clear that I know doesnā€™t run. does this help?

1 Like

Yes, thatā€™s what we needed to know. Since you tend to go below the 1/4 guideline on your glazing, you should think about making some cookies of your own and/or labeling items so we can determine if things are ok to fire.

1 Like

okay awesome thank you!! will make cookies soon!! :cupid::cupid:

1 Like

The brown monster with feet is just underglaze

Go ahead and write that on the form and place back on the glaze shelf :relaxed: ā€¦I wont get back up there today.

Hey guys, I posted the needs attention in the wrong thread last night, just moving the convo over here!
This was the picture in the original post

@ArtPedaler thanks for the kind post! :smiling_face: Me and Anna were loading at the shop late last night to get both glaze and bisque in. Thanks for wiping the sides of the large piece, it should be going in the next load :smiling_face: I saw this morning that the ornaments were back on the shelf on a DMS cookie. Just a reminder that they need to be on your own cookie or the glaze can be wiped on the sides so they wonā€™t stick to DMS cookies. They will be back on the needs attention shelf for now. Thanks again for the encouragement, hope to meet you IRL sometime soon :smiling_face:

1 Like

Ahhhā€¦I was told by another person who was loading the kiln I could use DMS cookies for those pieces. He said thatā€™s what they were for and Iā€™ve used them in past firings with no issue.
Iā€™m new at this studio and havenā€™t made any cookies because I was told I could use the ones on the shelf. What is the actual written cookie policy because Iā€™m getting conflicting things from different kiln loaders.

Only a few pieces had glaze on the sides and Iā€™m driving out of town for a couple of weeks. :cry:
If anyone around has time to wipe the sides for me and/or let me use a cookie that you have can you help me out?
Really need to get these testers in so I can get my Christmas ornaments in and fired before Christmas. If anyone can help- I can throw in some $$ or food or something.
Thanks!!!

Under the section ā€œwhat else should I know about firings:

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Category:Ceramics

the wiki guidelines are what should have been first referenced before asking others, this way we can all be on the same page instead of remembering something incorrectly or being on the receiving end of misremembered information. No worries, maybe you werenā€™t told this and that happens too, so now you know :smiling_face:

If I have time while unloading Sunday I will wipe them down and put them back on the shelf. Safe travels! :red_car:

2 Likes

Here is a reminder for everyone in the space new and old what the guidelines are. Thanks for reaching out and contributing to our community folks :partying_face:

4 Likes

ā€¦and I will buy you lunch, or clay, or glazes, or tools orā€¦
Thanks so much. Just stressing over life and stuff when all I want to do is play with clay.

1 Like

** The kiln team will choose the proper cookie for your piece if you have not provided your own. Please do not grab DMS cookies for your item.*

This is what confused me. So does this mean if a piece needs one the team puts one under a piece if you donā€™t have one?
How does the team decide to put DMS cookies under pieces vs an individual having to put one under? Just want to be sure I donā€™t screw it up again. I asked last week and was told despite the above statement to use one off the shelf. I thought I was helping the team out. Sorryā€¦ :cry: Loading glazed ware is never easy and very time consuming.
Iā€™ve loaded kilns when teaching and had to do it for over 100 middle school kids. It can get quite tedious especially wiping glaze off the bottoms for hours on end, and I appreciate everyoneā€™s time and work.

We have the guidelinesā€¦anything within those guidelinesā€¦the team loadsā€¦.if not within the guidelines pieces go in timeout. If you provide your own cookieā€¦you can do what ever you want to your pieceā€¦go all the way down with your glazeā€¦itā€™s your cookieā€¦the team will load. If we wiped everyoneā€™s pieces it would be a lot for the kiln team to do and then no one learns. Every studio(we are not a studio by the way :slight_smile: ) has their own set of rulesā€¦we are a community and have meetings to make rules and what notā€¦do come to those meetings :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s what I needed to know. Thanks.
I would love to attend meetings when Iā€™m in town. :+1:

3 Likes

New items on the shelf, please come check

1 Like

Not sure if this was glaze or underglaze.

Still unsure of what this piece is painted with. Itā€™s now on the needs attention shelf

Thatā€™s mine - itā€™s painted with regular glaze (not underglaze) - Iā€™ll look for it next time Iā€™m in and reply on the paper.

Thatā€™s okay. Now that we know that itā€™s glaze, we can just move it over to the Glazed shelf for you.

1 Like