Ceramics Kiln news May - 2021

i think i lost one of my bowls the same way. with an oolong shino matte glaze. i put it on the shelf at the end of march and all of the pieces i fired I was able to pick-up, but i forgot about the bowl 🥲

Thank you guys for your replies. The rumps got fired with other items that I WAS able to pick up, so that’s why I was stressing. I kinda think they walked away since I couldn’t find a place to put my signature on them. I’ll just have to be more on the ball with things.

Unloaded bisque!

1 Like

bisque unloaded. come get your babies, the shelves are overflowing!

3 Likes

Unloaded bisque, shelves are full of bisque to pick up.

3 Likes

Unloaded glaze! Come get your pretties!

3 Likes

Hi all, we are running out of cookies to fire pieces. Please make cookies for your items to donate to DMS for use in future firings.

Cookies should lay flat and be larger than the profile of your piece, not just the foot of the piece. Items larger than a standard mug may be delayed in firings if a cookie is not provided. Cookies with a slight rim would also be helpful.

Help us help you! Make cookies for kiln firings please.

2 Likes

There will soon be some clay in the Free Clay bin that’s available to make cookies with. Update when it happens…

4 Likes

I just made a bunch and tested one at cone 6 so I will bring them in soon!!

4 Likes

There was a batch of cookies in the last bisque I unloaded yesterday. they weren’t marked at all so I put them on the shelf with the rest of the pieces. Should I assume they are for community use if they are unmarked?

2 Likes

My cookies are unmarked but they have kiln wash on them - I’ll collect them after the glaze pieces that they are on are fired. :slight_smile:

Yeah I had some in that load and some more in the kiln now so they can be fired next glaze run and used after.

2 Likes

It’s mine! And yes amaco cherry blossom :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: it’s a community glaze!

2 Likes

Bisque unloaded.

1 Like

How does one make cookies? Is there a specific clay or thickness?

Use the slab roller will be the best way, and then the cookie cutters. Any clay you would fire in the kiln will work, basically they catch potential drips of glaze so as long as they are thick enough to be solid they are good.

1 Like

There is some clay in the Free Clay bin (under the 2 shelf thing next to the Teacher’s Cabinet) that will be fine for cookies. Any clay except the speckled clay is fine. (Not that you can tell, but please don’t make cookies out of any clay that you know to be speckled.) The speckles are “sticky”/molten at temp.

I’d probably stick with 3/8" thickness. That’s thick enough to be sturdy, but not so thick that it adds too much to the thermal density (stuff that has to be heated up). There’s a hexagonal cookie cutter that’s a good size. If you’re making ones for your pots, they need to be big enough that if your glaze drips off the lip, it will land on the cookie.

4 Likes

Agreed with @dryad2b

No speckled clay, hexagonal cutter is perfect for mugs, we need some larger for bowls as well so any round form also works, 3/8” to 1/4” all work well.

Is there any chance that the glaze kiln might be unloaded today?
I wouldn’t normally ask, it’s just that it’s the last weekend of Sherwood and there are a bunch of shot glasses in there that are more valuable if I can take them down there with me than they would be otherwise.

Yes, unloading right now with April.

1 Like