Ceramics Kiln news August 2020

Most people fire bisque to cone 05, that is what we used to fire to but we started using cone 04 because of the pitting and had better results. Having said that, many people only fire to cone 06 and don’t have an issue.
We didn’t run cones often before and it may have been that we were way off BEFORE the element replacement and didn’t know it. My memory may be wrong about that though, generally I don’t recall much issue with pitting after we changed the elements. May be Just me but I feel ok with cone 05.

3 Likes

Not to pick at you, but the zeros are important. Leading zero, under 2000F. No leading zero, over 2000F.

1 Like

Sorry about not posting the cones on the info spot
The cones fired to about 05 just a bit under.

Ah, I’m still learning and this is helpful. Thank you.

1 Like

All of our commercial, especially amaco, glazes require cone 04 for promised results… otherwise they can’t guarantee anything.

1 Like

That’s the kiln you and I loaded to the Skutt 04 schedule. Not sure why the cone didn’t go to full temp, if it was the cone placement or unloaded too soon.

Maybe we need to add more time to the hold, but have not seen any putting lately.

@Christykaake I have 3 glazed mugs that were in the bisque firing that did not reach temp 3 times. They are in the glaze firing right now…anxious to see how they do with the glaze on them. They each have a glaze that have turned out lovely in other firings ( bisque and glaze). Time will tell!!! Fingers crossed that the storm that just rolled through did not hurt them :hushed:

2 Likes

OK :slightly_smiling_face: I too have tests in there. I also intend to look at my application process… so i can try to cover all angles of my glaze problem… cuz I’m sure on my winter wood with aurora green, the green was just not thick enough. But i know I did my amaco ones thick enough and they didn’t do what they were supposed to. Me and Monika were talking about the possibility that just may be the t mix… has anyone else had trouble with getting glazes to run nicely on t mix?

What clay is your tests? I put the same glaze combinations on 2 sets of b mix and t mix

The one i did for you is a test tile of New Mexico Columbine, which is white white. My 3 mugs are cinco rojo i believe…or chocolate from nm…or brown stoneware :thinking:

1 Like

Columbine is quite similar to t- mix with grog in appearance, easier for me to through with though - feels stiffer and in my experience is less likely to collapse.

1 Like

I will have to try that sometime :slight_smile: It is the name of my favorite flower :wink:
Next time you guys order some, we should go in together :slight_smile:

We’ve still have 25lb bag, we’d be happy to give you 5-10lbs to try out next time your at the space.

1 Like

I should add, it probably shrinks a little more than t-mix so I’d recommend care when drying.

Ok :slight_smile: What do you think it would be like to hand build with?

I don’t really know, I haven’t tried it. Closed I’ve come is a handle on a mug.:man_shrugging:

Is awesome for hand building!!

1 Like

Cool :wink: can’t wait to try it :grinning:

Glaze was unloaded from 1222.

2 Likes