Ceramics 11/6 Meeting Agenda - Vote items

Hi All, items listed below are items up for a discussion and vote on the agenda for the Ceramics 11/6 committee meeting. If you are interested in the discussion please attend the meeting or provide MonikaT with your Vote to take to the meeting. I will gather the information received through 11/4 and present it at the meeting.

Committee Chair vote

• Brenda Morlan is running
  • Beth Appleton is running

Glaze Restocking

• List of glazes to be stocked
    • Amaco, Stroke and Coat, Underglazes, Dip, others
  • Funds to be spent on glazes
    • Amount to spend - Donation amount, more than donation amount, Holiday amount different than other months
    • How often to be replenished, replenishment to be different for Holiday’s

Donation or institute a Fee for glaze restock

• Stickers posted on glaze bottles reminding of $$ to pay

Meeting Notes

• Change how meeting notes are taken
  • Change the notes posted on the Pug Mill discussion 6/5/2019 (see notes below)

“Pug mill discussion - no decision to purchase at this time. Will take further discussion, operational plans, and justification for future potential purchase. We need to consider safety rules and do more research on how other studios manage this process organizationally.”

Glaze SIG

• Q&A

This has already been ruled a hard no from your committee. This was a bad idea from the start imo, especially during expansion. Had the chairs decided to not chase this dragon, we could have had a new kiln months ago…

Who is guna run this?
Who is going to clean it?
Who’s paying for plumbing?
Where is it going to go?
Who is paying for ventilation silica dust, waste disposal?
Who’s asking the landlord?
DMS the clay selling business?
Where is clay storage going?

The ask @Monikat was to update the wiki to show a majority no vote on the pugmill was tabled by the chairs previously.

@PearceDunlap @richmeyer @mrjimmy

1 Like

Members can proxy with whom ever they like, just so everyone knows this.

1 Like

Before anybody even considers another huge investment at DMS you should get all your ducks in a row first. Identify all the facility upgrades that would be required (lease restrictions, space, plumbing, ventilation, electrical, storage, and environmental regulations, etc.) and prepare a complete package to the Board of Directors with capital costs and contractor estimates. The BoD requires a complete cost analysis of this or any other project to be part of their decision process.

The Pugmill is not part of the current Expansion plans.

4 Likes

I love love love the idea of a pug mill because that’s the #1 thing I want right now for my classroom and they really are awesome.
I’ve never known a pug mill to need plumbing - but possibly they are more advanced.
How much are you guys recycling on a weekly basis?

They need ventilation to prevent silica from flying all about, getting all in your lungs.

4 Likes

All, we are not in discussions on a pug mill, please read the agenda carefully.

There was an initial discussion regarding a Pug Mill at a ceramics meeting on 6/5. The only reason this item is listed as a “vote” is that one member asked that the Meeting notes of the Pug Mill discussion on 6/5 be removed from the notes. The Committee as a whole needs to discuss and vote on changing prior committee notes and if this discussion should be removed from the notes record.

We are not voting or discussing the purchase of a Pug Mill.

1 Like

The original proposal was a large for profit model in the 8-9k range not the typical table top model fwiw.

The committee afaik hasn’t recycled at all? At least not back to the committee that I have seen. One or two members have tried here and there. Bucket fills maybe once a month.

Your correct Johnny, how much scrap is there? Perhaps a tally card to mark every time the bucket is empty will reflect how much scrap ceramics actually has.
1-4 - 5gal bucket a month? does this justify the purchase of equipment costing thousands?
The studios I have been with pugmills have a 30 to a 50 gallon trash cans every couple of days to mix. We don’t have that volume.

1 Like