Ceramic Kiln News - June 2021

Bisque unloaded, shelves are full again, please come get your pretties.

1 Like

Apologies for my glaze dripping onto the cookie!! Really interesting that ring developed around it on the top though🤔. I’ll come by today and make a couple - is it ok to use locha mocha clay? that’s the only non-speckled clay I have at the moment

2 Likes

Next time I see you I’ll give you some white stoneware to make a few bowl type cookies. Loca mocha is beautiful but it may bleed on to whiter pieces.

Really appreciate you offering to make more….that’s HUGE and appreciated :blush:

Glaze unloaded
Come pick up your pieces the shelves are full!!

2 Likes

Bisque unloaded and once again shelves are very full. Please come get your items

2 Likes

Glaze unloaded from Paragon

Bisque unloaded from 1027, shelves are full. Forgot the first couple shelf pictures, sorry.

1 Like

Anyone know when the glaze firing will be taken out? I got a job in Austin that I’m moving for this weekend and was hoping to get my pieces before then! :scream: I’ll be at the makerspace in the wood shop and would gladly help unload / load the kiln if it helps!

1 Like

Doing a kiln session on Friday around 6 if you want to help.

ok - i should be around then!!

1 Like

It’s possible that your piece will be Fine. We’ve gotten pretty close to full cone 6 firing temp twice now. Even if we got to cone 5, that’s pretty much done. You get a bit more vitrification at 6, and glaze colors change a bit at the hotter temp.

What piece was it?

The graph showed that it got really close to temp, and like Beth said I’m pretty sure the cones will say at least a cone 5. I actually expect them to show cone 6 for what it’s worth, I wouldn’t be too worried.

2 Likes

appreciate the extra info about the firing! My pieces are the 3 laguna b3 plates with coyote shino glaze

1 Like

Bisque unloaded from 1027

1 Like

Comments on the glaze firing. As you may know, we ran the 1222 twice because it had a “failure to heat” error the first time. And then, the 2nd time too. Generally speaking, everything looks fine. The cones were a bit odd, but I’m pretty sure we baked it long enough for Cone 6. In the first pic, bottom of the page – those 3 items? Sorry, but that glaze just didn’t “play well” with the double heat. They ran. You can see the puddling in the pic. Mind you, I’m thinking that they had run even in the first heating, just not quite so much.

1 Like

Calling all potters……I need your help locating the owner of the large plate in this photo.

The large kiln is down for repairs and it will be a week or two before we will get it completed. With that said, this plate can be fired in the 1027 however the foot may end up on the crack between the shelves and/or we can place a cookie under it to minimize the contact with the crack between shelves.

We need an “ok” to fire in the 1027 or “no, please hold for the 1222 repair”. Thank you!

1 Like

Believe it’s @meanbaby s pretty plate, I have a gigant cookie we can place under it to fire over two shelves.

Clay softens when it is heated. I would prefer it not on a cookie, that could cause a crack also. I can wait until the kiln is repaired and have a load for the other kiln. There is no rush. Thank you!

2 Likes