Catalytic converter help?

So if you don’t mind, what project are you tackling?

an engine change in a diesel beetle - a friend is going to give me a hand so it will be a day or two.

Neat! I loved my 1970 VW bug. what year is your’s?

1970 was one of the best years for a beetle made after 1968

The Beetle I am going to be working on is a poor example of today’s many ‘retro’ look cars - it is a 2003. the only saving grace is that has a turbo diesel engine in it.

I do have a 1974 VW Thing - very close in many mechanical ways to your 1970 Beetle but definitely different in the body …

1 Like

Well… Shipping on my Cat Converter is delayed until Tuesday, so I won’t be joining you tomorrow morning. :frowning: Thank you for offering your time. Would The following Sunday morning be acceptable? I’ll follow up with a phone call. Liz

1 Like

Are you aware that no cars can be worked on a tthe space right now because the door is broken?

1 Like

How can a simple overhead door be beyond operable for long since there are so many energetic creative minds at the Space?

2 Likes

Ms Becker - in a worst case scenario we can make arrangements for your to come to my home - I have everything needed for any mechanical repair and a lift.

I cannot fathom how a simple roll up door has “stopped” any car work from being performed

I believe it’s still possible to work on a car at the space however you’d need a few people to help with the door ; the opener is down and it’s not a small repair nor a small door! (I heard one of the springs was broken, several wheels are out of the track, some track is bent - not a good situation at all)

Yikes! Did someone run into it?

I don’t think so. Seems more likely it’s just old and the spring on one side broke and the rest follows from there.

Well… hmmmm… and the CC showed up this morning unexpectedly. Tom, I may have to take you up on your offer unless someone at the space can replace the broken spring on the door by Thursday. I’d help with that except I’m already over-committed for the week.

Gotta love the accuracy of a tracking number!
I may be available later today or we can stay with thursday!

that door hardware (rollers etc) is readily available and easy to replace

I cannot remember if it has an header mounted torsion spring or the long slinky like springs that are parallel to the tracks - either way pretty basic and simple to replace, and maintain.

In either case I would be happy to give a hand in getting it operational again some evening.

I think you don’t remember because they’re above the ceiling, based on these photos…
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/uploads/default/original/2X/7/7f25603326a69574dd732aef627986e05df7b1b0.jpg

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/uploads/default/original/2X/a/a80eff170917b98841adfccb1427cf25c75f138a.jpg

Well, I’ve already set my intentions and locked in my responsibilites for the week. Doing actual, paying work this afternoon, so if you don’t mind I’d like to keep it to Thursday evening, say around 7:00ish?

The door is propped open right now with a pallet.

I await it’s actual repair. See ya’ll on Thursday!

Still on for this evening. I’ll be there at about 6:00 pm.

I’ll be there after 6pm - probably closer to 7 but yes i’ll be there