Catalytic converter help?

So my 1995 Toyota 4Runner needs a new catalytic converter. I’ve looked at the diagrams and the part “seems” easy to replace. Just 4 bolts and a couple of gaskets. I’d rather spend a few hours doing this myself than spend several Franklins. Can anyone assist or at least supervise this? Is there more to it than meets the eye? I’m not afraid of getting my hands a bit greasy and using some elbow grease. Comments? Suggestions?

Liz
214-985-7184

1 Like

I have the Haynes 1979-95 Toyota Pickup and 4-Runner repair manual if that’s of any use. I have a 94 pickup though I’ve never had any issues with my catalytic converter. Glancing at it now it lists a few test procedures, a couple additional items and to expect some frozen fasteners but nothing too terrible. I’d think using the lift would make such a part change a whole lot easier.

Liz,

Is your 4runner a California emissions vehicle or one for the other 49 normal states? There should be a decal under the hood or on the driver’s door pillar that will tell you.
Would it be possible to take a look at your 4runner before you order the parts? RockAuto is a great source for parts too.

If you take the lift course - or I can teach you how to use it. I’d be happy to assist you in replacing the cat on your Toyota using my old lift. It would make this much easier. Sundays and Mondays are my days off.
Many exhaust bolts are corroded to the point where they have to be cut off after several years-if they don’t snap during removal.
You should expect to get a Cat -should come with gaskets and misc hardware - might be available at the Space or local auto parts store.

Tom

1995 that is the last year that was OBD1, your vehicle is the last year that they still run on the dynos anything new 1996 to present is OBD2 and the cars computer actually does the testing. Toyota’s cats are very resilient and very expensive, some cars manufacturer in preparation of OBD2 started putting post cat O2 sensors on there vehicles a year or 2 in advance. Who said you need a cat, a dyno run or the OBD2 post cat sensor (pulling codes from PCM), if it was a dyno run I would definitely make sure your plugs wires cap and rotor are new and in very good condition, if they are new or within a few years old, where did you get them and what is the brand. I would strongly suggest OEM plugs, wires cap and rotor in this situation along with a fresh PCV valve, along with making sure that your purge control valve solenoid is in perfect working order. OEM cats (from Toyota) are very expensive I’ve seen them as high as 1600 dollars. Bolt in cats, or weld in cats are very cheap and low in platinum and in my experience only good for a few years. Unlike an OEM cat especially from Toyota. OEM cats are expensive and very durable for this reason and unless its rattling and you know the above mentioned is high quality OEM parts (especially plugs and wires) I would avoid replacing the OEM catalytic converter at all cost. Yes they are very easy but, a Toyota cat is pretty expensive for one that comes from Toyota, most aftermarket cats are junk. Also I have had very good luck with catalytic converter cleaners. Here is one Catalytic converter cleaner.

If you did have a dyno run while trying to get your state inspection can you please post your 5 gas analyzer results.

Hydrocarbons (HC)
Carbon Monoxide (CO)
Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx)
Carbon Dioxide (CO2)
Oxygen (O2)

There should be 5 gases(obvious) their part per million or PPM and the acceptable range. If a shop ran it and you have a cat that is bad the hydrocarbons will read high. If it is really close to the acceptable range I would def suggest the cat cleaner. If it is your 2nd O2 sensor (if our car has one) and the PCM is throwing a P0420 catalytic inefficiency code and all the above are suggested parts are in great shape, I follow the path of testing the O2 sensor first. Sorry to go on such a rant just trying to save a maker space pal making an expensive mistake. OEM cats bring shops quite a bit of money from reselling the cats to metal recyclers. Some cats can fetch a hefty price from 2-300 dollars. Toyota, Acura, and Honda are usually the ones that do. Link to help you interpret your 5 gas analyzer results.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thank you! I think I can find this online, so I will not trouble you for the manual. The diagnostic was already run at the shop, so I have within about 90% certainly that the catalytic converter needs replacement. I am going to schedule an appointment with the lift at the space, as I am a “learn as I go” kinda girl.

Tom, Would you be available to show me how to use the lift Sunday, Dec 6th? I have a two week window in which the shop which did the inspection will honor the original fee. I will order all parts and have them available. Please let me know how I might compensate you for your time. I make some decent baked goods. :slight_smile:

Sincerely,

Liz

Styler - “As far as I know” the alternator and plugs are brand new. This truck was an emergency purchase when I was broke, so I already knew I might be making an expensive mistake. I may have to consult with you for some advanced knowledgeable advice, but at the moment I am going to do what I can with what I have. I will post the gas analyzer results when I get some more coffee shortly. Thank you for such an in-depth and thoughtful response.

Liz,
I just sent you a text message and yes Sunday will work.
Liz - there is nothing “wrong” with a quality cat made by DEC or Bosal for your Toyota. Both carry a five year warranty. OF the two DEC (Diversified Environmental Cat) is higher quality.
I will be up there Sunday working on one of my cars as well.

Thank you Tom! I will start shopping these parts ( after I get some work done, lol ) Would it help if I get some WD-40 on those bolts now?

don’t worry about the bolts anything you put on today will burn off by sunday.
call me or text me when you can
I sent you a PM with my phone number

LOL.
Removing rusty bolts is almost a religious experience.
Everyone has their own favorite among the penetrating oils. Here’s one of mine (but wd-40 is OK).
And I differ with Tom on applying penetrating oil: a few heat cycles will help it do its thing. The best application for exhaust bolts is when the exhaust is hot, as the cooling process helps to draw the oil into the same nooks’n’crannies that the water found. The caveat: penetrating oil BURNS, so be VERY CAREFUL around anything hot, especially catalytic converters which get particularly hot and retain it for an especially long time compared to other exhaust components. You do NOT want to “fix” your problems by torching your vehicle!

Also, I differ with tom about posting my phone number to sites available to the public and searchable by Google.
The spoiler tag works, I think, for preventing bots’n’searches from returning it.
It certainly works for visually hiding it…

1 Like

Jast - i agree about the phone number - thanks for that reminder.

I am also not inclined to answer the question “what is that burning smell” before the fire brigade shows up.

The last cat I did was for a good friend - on a GM bucket ‘O’ shite cavalier…had it not been a good friend - I would have declined. In GM’s infinite wisdom they used tapped holes in the flange so the three bolts snapped off. I ended up cutting them off flush and drilling through to use bolts, washers, and nuts.
The best part about it was the “aftermarket” cat fit perfectly!

1 Like

If you two are so inclined I wouldn’t mind taking a peek and lend a hand if needed. I plan to be around some on Sunday and with a 94 pickup most likely will learn a thing or two. Just let me know the approximate time you’re going to be working on it?

Oh are you in for a treat. This was a “shady salvage” vehicle, to put it mildly. It also happens to still be my
primary ride. I may end up donating it to the museum of cautionary tales after I get a little more financially stable.

Let me order the parts and see when I can get them before I make a time commitment. On that now.

Parts Ordered. See ya’ll Sunday in the am!

I am planning on a sunday morning after 10am until whenever. I have an automotive project of my own to tackle as well.

So if you don’t mind, what project are you tackling?

an engine change in a diesel beetle - a friend is going to give me a hand so it will be a day or two.

Neat! I loved my 1970 VW bug. what year is your’s?