Carmack free public talk at UT Dallas, April 9 2:30pm

http://www.utdallas.edu/ah/events/detail.html?id=1220417125

Anyone else want to go?

Sounds exciting! I need to think about actually going, especially with the lack of parking (especially free parking) at UTD.

The blurb mentions that he is the lead engineer of Armadillo Aerospace, as if AA still exists. I’m wondering what became of their property and personnel? I know that some of it went to NASA, where it is being used in autonomous landing research.

I met John Carmack at the Wirefly X-prize back in 2007, when they did some of their first demo flights of Pixel and Texel. Pretty cool dude. He just had a conversation with my dad and I for a solid hour or so. I’ll have to see if my dad’s interested in going to this talk.

I was at AA’s X Prize qualification flight, and I encountered (not exactly met) Carmack. He signed my commemorative t-shirt. I have lots of photos and videos from that event.

As of a couple years ago AA was on permanent hiatus as Carmack said he ran out of ‘extra’ money to fund it with.

Bump, this is tomorrow, there is a parking permit to print off for free parking

I can’t find the ATEC building on the campus map - does it have another name?

I assumed it was ATC on the map, Arts and Technology Building

Yep, found it. Interesting 2 hour talk. Really enjoyed it.

I shot a few photos and video of most of the presentation. Did you hear the phone ring in the middle of his talk? That was me.

Carmack said something about building sound into the Occulus, and mentioned headphones versus speakers. Neither solution is entirely desirable. If I had the chance to ask him, I would ask why they don’t install bone conduction transducers into the headband?