Carbide Create with PI + Touchscreen

I ran across this, thought I’d share. I don’t recall us getting to a final approach regarding a setup for the 3 XXL

3 Likes

I personally would like to see a dedicated machine/pc/tablet/name your other device physically attached to the base of the machine. It gets rid of the “Where is the computer for the shaky poo” or “it’s not compatible with my computer”.

I really like the idea that @jphelps posted. I’ve been trying to run the Shakypoo from my laptop and it’s a nuisance to keep running back and forth between the laptop and the machine to dial in the origin.

@jphelps … if we wanted to do this, are you able to get it up and running?

EDIT: Also … notice that on the Sh4 the front access to the clamping tracks is open. On our Sh3, only the back of the track is open.

we may be able to simply cut that plastic barrier away

1 Like

We could try a different style of t-nut, if they exist. Unistrut has spring nuts, It allows you to put the nut in the slot then turn it to lock.
This is what those nuts look like.

I’m also not opposed to slotting the barrier to access them.

BTW how is the lack of enclosure working?

It’s a little hard to tell. I wasn’t able to use the dust collector (mostly because the hose drags on the gantry belt and prevents it from moving). I’m not sure it’s a fair trial without the DC.

I probably like it better without the enclosure … easier to access the machine to clean it. But I’m a fairly diligent cleaner and not everyone is. The table is large enough that I can’t reach much of it unless I have four-sided access. The enclosure would prevent that. On the plus side, the enclosure would keep ceramic dust out of the router.

I machined a little bit of plastic and it made a lot of static-laden chips but the DC would have probably captured most of that. I also machined a small piece of sheet brass and all that made was some insignificant brass dust.

EDIT:

Good idea, but doesn’t help anyone who is using their own clamping mechanism.

1 Like

I’m sure we could get it to work but I’d suggest changing the touch screen used so it supports the official requirement of 1280 x 1024 minimum resolution. That display they are using is a bit under that.

Carbide 3D and Carbide Motion on a Raspberry Pi - #343 by DanMiner - Carbide Motion - Carbide 3D Community Site

We could also do this sort of thing with more advanced hardware, at a higher cost.

Edit: here’s a all in one with the 1280 x 1024 touchscreen someone is using successfully: RasPad 3-A Portable Raspberry Pi Tablet to Learn & Program in Mins – RasPad | World's First Raspberry Pi Tablet