Car/Truck for sale

Hi. I have a 16 year old son who is going to get involved in MakesSpace and also needs an affordable car. He has always wanted to work on a car and would jump in with someone and help with repairs but will need guidance. Anyone have something for sale that needs some work? Thanks!!

2 Likes

Affordable cars today is a stretch! Folks at the Space have a variety of project cars going on including those that have Lemons Race cars and the Makerspace’s own Lemons Race car - can your son drive a manual gearbox? (every 16 year old should).

Does he have a budget in mind? Please make sure you have get a ** “pre-purchase inspection performed BEFORE”**
you buy his “first car” ! This should prevent him from buying someone else’s problem. If it is a Mustang, Camaro, or any modern Dodge product I cannot help you at all.

I am a former army helicopter mechanic and Euro car mechanic. I’ve helped many people here over the years with their cars.

Personally I prefer older cars, the days of no check engine light. Drive by throttle cable not by wire.

1 Like

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. His budget is probably 3-4K but we could stretch a little more. He would also love to turn a wrench with someone and I would love to help as well.

1 Like

What is your son into? There’s lots of good options in that price range. Some better than others depending on his interests. No relation to the sellers. Pointing out what some of the options are in that range.

This would be a decent option that runs and drives.

This Ford Focus is a lot newer and has transmission issues. A used transmission for this car is like $700.

Another decent option that runs and drives.

If he’s into camping or other outdoors stuff this has four wheel drive.

Truck bed for hobbies or outdoor stuff.

Another decent truck option.

Truck with a manual transmission. This would be a fun first car. Needs a new injector says the owner.

4 Likes

I would steer clear of that Focus. There are widespread reports of DPS6 transmission issues.

6 Likes

Which will happen first? The 16 year old guy wrecks it or the used transmission dry clutch packs wear out? :wink:

3 Likes

You guys have the knack for bringing out the optimist in me, b/c I’m hoping it’s the dry clutch pack wears out first…but even more optimistic: the young man knows how to (or wants to learn) drive stick and eschews the autobox altogether…

1 Like

Hope springs eternal.

2 Likes

My brother used to run a transmission repair shop and their manual transmissions weren’t without issue either… He said Ford had an orifice in the clutch line to slow down fluid and keep drivers from dumping the clutch and being super hard on the transmission. All it did was cause the clutches to burn out much faster.

1 Like