Can Guests attend the class

Hello Ceramics commitee,

I need to learn if guests or non DMS members are eligible to attend DMS learning events. Below are the events.
Events |Dallas Makerspace Calendar

Ceramic Arts: 1 day Complete Mug Class - non potter $30

Creative Arts: Learn to use the Titan Vinyl Cutter

Pottery Wheel Throwing Fundamentals $25

Typically the instructor sets those requirements when posting the class [if done it will show up under the “restrictions” section - see below].

It would be best to reach out to the instructor of each class to verify. I would think that the Titan class would be member-required [since you are required to be a member to use our tooling]. @Liamluu would have your answers.

1 Like

Unless inside of a designated class actually. It’s 100% up to the person teaching it.

2 Likes

Guests can use tools as part of a scheduled class. It’s up to the teacher to decide whether or not to allow nonmembers most of the time.

Thank you all

You still don’t have a specific answer. Since it’s up to the instructor to set members-only or not, until Liam answers, the only way you’ll know is to try and sign up the non-member. A member will log into the Calendar. Non-members sign up with their email.

A majority of my class are not restricted to members. Making class available to the public has always been a tool to introduce the space to the wider community. The hope is after taking a class, non-member will turn into members.

Of course this is dependent on the instructor. Checking the class restrictions is a good start.

However classes that are meant to check out tools, such as they vinyl cutter may be less suitable. Non members are not permitted to use the machines and tools outside of class time. Something to keep in mind when signing up for classes.

2 Likes

Thanks Liam

Tool training classes tend to be restricted to members because AD integration make the process much easier. If a non-member takes a training class and joins later, manual intervention is needed.