Can anyone lend deep cycle battery to DMS?

We need one or two 12 volt deep cycle batteries (30ah+ range) to power the winch for our trebuchet. Does anyone have some sitting around they could lend us from now until november? Would return battery after the competition.

I got a truck that can be used for this purpose assuming it does not sink

Likely could use a better option though.

Taking the batteries out of vehicles we use to drive out there would work day of, (wont be able to drive onto field we are launching on, have to carry everything from parking lot to firing line). Would be good to have a battery to test with before then.

Interstate battery sells blemished or returned deep cycles for $45+ core charge(or bring some crap battery in and no core charge). Call the distribution center

2 Likes

@Patrick so this guy?

http://corporate.interstatebatteries.com/www/distributors/dallas/default.asp

That location is where I got mine a few years ago if I remember

Was talking to @lukeiamyourfather about this the other day who indicated that he had some Li-Po batteries in the nominal 12V range that should be capable of 2+ lifts that Trebuchet SIG could borrow.

1 Like

I have four 8Ah 3S LiPo batteries and a four channel DC charger that can charge all four in about an hour.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16225__ZIPPY_Flightmax_8000mAh_3S1P_30C_Lipo_Pack.html
http://hitecrcd.com/products/chargers/dcdc-chargers/x4-eighty-4-port-multi-charger/product

DMS is welcome to borrow them for the project. Just be careful with them, they like to catch fire if damaged or used improperly.

2 Likes

That would be great, would have no problem outputting the needed 50-75 amps

What about the batteries and motor you used on that wooden death trap, ummm cart, yeah I meant cart, you built and rode? It flung you around the parking lot well enough … I’d think with some pulley reduction of a loop or three it could almost be classified as a semi-automatic.

Those were 10S LiPo which are higher voltage. The 3S LiPo is similar voltage to lead acid car batteries the winch is expecting.

1 Like

Someone in the e-lab wants to devise a high-current buck regulator…? :joy:

Ok, more power, use it with that motor Brandon used … this impressive beast Brandon is fabricating, I doubt the world has seen since the Crusades outside Jerusalem, deserves it. Yeah there are bigger wooden ones - but this steel … it deserves more power. Do you think Krupp when building the Gustav guns in WWII would have said “Nur 12 Volt zur Verfügung? Nein!! Gib mir einen Zug, um es auf.” (Only 12 volts available? No!! Get me a train to put it on.).

I can’t wait to see this brakeless thing roll down the ramp, dragging people holding ropes … crushing all in its wake. I can imagine our neighbor talking with their insurance agent “No, it is not a bad connection. I said a Trebuchet crashed through our building.”

This thing is awesome. We need to take up a collection to hire a HS Marching Band to herald it’s arrival on the field of competition.

3 Likes

Bagpipes are more suitable!

4 Likes

Building our own winch using the 15hp brushed motor and 10 cell lipos sounds like a lot of work compared to buying the 2,000 pound winch for $70. Although I do need to either sell or find a use for the wooden gokart which is sitting in my garage.

If the electronics/motor are still good you could build one of the those drivable drink coolers. :wink:

2 Likes

Throw some tracks or mud tires on incase it gets swampy down there. Hell of a cooler there.