Can anyone help? Crafting steel table legs

I am not a blacksmith. Far from it though it does interest me but I am clueless about welding. I was considering buying some steel square tube legs off Etsy. Wondering if anyone can make some of these before I go farther? Or similar? Or advice? shrug.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/572299380/bench-legs-coffee-table-legs-bench-base?ref=cart

@indytruks138 Ryan made some that are not dissimilar, and started from “zero”, somewhat recently. Might check with him, if both of you are interested in chatting, might be helpful.

Also, I think you’re wanting welding (like, with electricity, arc, etc.) which falls under “metal shop”, rather than “blacksmithing”, which would be more “hammerforge welding” (like, with a forge).
Of course, I could be waaay off base.
If so, I apologize for muddying waters.

2 Likes

oh cool. thanks. Told ya I didn’t know. Lol! shrug.

1 Like

Yes you definitely want to weld and not forge weld. I did make a table base recently but I could not do it as cheaply as most etsy shops. I am happy to talk you through the process, most of it is simple and if you get signed off on the MIG welder you can make some ugly welds and grind them down. Then you can powdercoat or spray paint them. Let me know if you want to chat.

1 Like

Were your materials cheaper than $100 ?

1 Like

Depends on the size you are making, for coffee table legs, yes for sure.

1 Like

I’ll just leave this lying here…
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Metal_Suppliers

Metals 4U gets good press…
And here is a shopping cart I threw together, just for an idea of what one of them offers (no idea if it’s accurate for your needs, but it seems like it might be to me…)

I would say for the legs she posted one 10’ square tube section and one 3’ flat iron section. 2" wide would suffice.

1 Like

Discount steel.
10ft of 2” square tube 16 gauge is about 27$, 2” strap 1/8” is about 11$. So fo about 40$ you might be in business depending on how tall you want them.

4 Likes

I made these table legs for around 20 bucks. I had to remake them because they weren’t square. Your budget is well within norms.

1 Like

Depends on how many times you have to make it to get it the way you want it! :rofl: I’d have to make it a bunch of times before I’d get one set that’s usable …

2 Likes

How did you route out the leg hole/markers? just a hand router?

Just marked the legs, and then routed them out with a router.

1 Like