BYO materials to classes?

Did we ever figure out a way to email instructors through the event page?

I am curious about the ability to sign up for classes where there is a material fee but I happen to already own said supplies (like pen kits, blanks, shirts, cups, canvas, paint, fabric, w/e). I understand some specific classes have specific sets of material requirements (specific metal or whatnot), but in the event of more generic one I’d like to be able to byo. (For example, for lathe stuff I’ve taken some classes and still have some kits and bushings and a bunch of blanks so I definitely don’t need to buy more, but it’s been a bit for the skills portion so a refresher might be nice. Or blank T-shirts or totes for various classes or canvas and paints)

But if I recall correctly, finding instructors emails is a little difficult? I don’t have any particular class in mind right now, so it’s not a matter of finding a specific person’s email, but a general ‘how does one sign up to byo materials for class/how do I contact any given instructor to get a materials list/register’. Sorry if that doesn’t quite make sense as a question :rofl:

I would say that in general it is up to the instructor and I would just look them up on talk and PM/DM them on talk. In my case, if I was teaching a pen class, it would depend upon the class. For instance, if I was teaching how to make a particular pen kit, you’d need to have that exact kit. The slimline kits for instance are a particularly slim kit to make. In general, though, I doubt any instructor would have an objection to bringing your own kit/materials. In blacksmithing, for instance, I don’t care if you want to bring your own steel. The class price will be the same regardless, and I usually supply the steel. If you wanted to make Damascus steel, for instance, you can’t just use any steel to do so.

The bottom line is that you probably just need to message the instructor directly.

Yeah, I suppose part of it is avoiding materials cost in situations where I already own said materials. (Like, I have the specific slimline kit and bushings and blanks from when I took the class a few years ago, that’s sort of thing.) Or in some situations I just prefer to shop for my own self with a materials list when it isn’t a safety issue or something like blacksmithing where i have little experience and it would make more sense to let the instructor provide the appropriate materials.

It’s a bit unclear to me when looking at classes which portions of fees are for the materials and which to the instructor. I think it they are honorarium classes then fees are materials only? But I’m not sure how to see that. I’ve noticed some classes to say $x to due to the instructor prior to class for the materials, in which case I’d assume if I brought my own that that materials cost was already met. But obviously I’d want to let the instructor know so they didnt buy me any so they weren’t out of pocket for the cost. (Example: sticker making, I’d probably rather just buy myself a packet of the recommended paper prior to class, etc)

But I definitely wouldn’t mess around bringing metal to a blacksmith class! :rofl: I know enough to know I don’t know enough about metal work!

“The bottom line is that you probably just need to message the instructor directly.”
I think the issue here and ultimately what my question was, is the name listed on the instructor bit of the events page doesn’t necessarily match talk. I know at one point people were talking about adding and Email button or some such to the event pages. So in those situations rather than posting a public message on talk, unclear how to find out contact info.

One potential way is to go over to the Private Message section. Open a message, and start typing the person’s name as found on the Calendar.

For instance, I typed in Dan’s name, and I got his handle. This only works if the person has a Talk account, though. And, it only works 100% on newer folks. Some older accounts aren’t directly linked to anybody’s name.

This is correct, it’s something that is in the works, but some other higher priority issues arose that needed to get handled first. It’s pretty high up on the to-do list though.

2 Likes

Haha hey, I’m just happy to know I wasn’t misremembering. Thanks for all the hard work.