Buying sheet metal

I have been buying sheet metal cut offs but I will be ordering metal soon. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for placing my first actual order? Such as are 4x8 sheet usually what places carry? I have heard that many places charge $15 a cut so I’m trying to figure out what size to order without getting hit with fees. So if sheet metal usually comes in 5x10 and I order a 4x8 I don’t want to get hit with 2 cut charges.

I’m looking for 4x4 steel for the PlasmaCam probably 10 guage. Just trying to make it seem like I’m not a complete noob when I go to the metal store.

Thanks

2 Likes

metals4u doesn’t charge for cuts - as far as I know from my experiences with them.

P.S. you can cut longer pieces that 4x4 on the plasma(one side would max out at 48" but not the other) - it just takes a few extra steps…

2 Likes

I have been thinking about making a run to metal supermarket with my trailer soon to pick some steel up. @jphelps was also thinking about a run as well a couple weeks ago. The issue we may have is storage once we get it to the space. The steel I would likely be getting will mostly be for classes.

I have been buying metal from Kings Metal, in fact I just bought all of the 1.5x1.5x.125" aluminum angle they had on Wednesday(11 sticks)…
Here is the listing for there sheet metal, prices normally show when you click on the actual item you want.
Kings Metal - Sheet/Plate
I normally have them cut long stock in half for transport, and have been told they charge $0.50 per cut, but didn’t notice it on my last order, no idea about sheet stock though

I did try onlinemetals.com because they have a location just south of my shop, but struck out when I was told to email them for a quote after talking with them on the phone, and then never received a reply to the emailed quote request.

I added them to the listing of metal suppliers in the Machine Shop section of the wiki.

4 Likes

I didn t know that was there, I bet I can buy sheet copper
and brass locally for less than I order it from Thinderbird

If you make a run, let me know. I want to get some sheet stock so I can start to refresh myself on the beautiful English Wheel Metal shop has. Then I’d like to offer some classes. But first I need to ruin some metal getting my skills back.

@dallasmagna If you do want to store it in Machine Shop, I KNOW I can find space for it, we can negotiate a return date! Removing the floor bolts can be tricky. :innocent:

1 Like

Norton Metals Fort Worth
Discount Steel Saginaw
Fulton Metals Denton

1 Like

Try SB Specialty Metals in Arlington