Button Hole Punch(es)

I don’t see any way we don’t have a full compliment, although I have no idea what that is, of button hole punches for Leatherworking. For making things like this

which I have the impression uses a tool like this

Anyone know, and/or be willing to help a complete nooB make a couple extra button holes in a belt strap?
I have taken leatherworking basics with Bitta, but that was in a previous age, before any locked cabinets, etc. and I know things have changed a lot since then. Also, despite wanting to do some leatherwork, I simply haven’t…

Here is a photo of the device, and the type of hole I’d like a couple more of

That stud measures (with my crappy Pittsburgh caliper) 7.49 mm (.304 inches), which I assume is important.
The leather strap is 6.00 mm (.234 inches) thick, which I assume is not important, but put here as datapoint nevertheless.
Thank you for any advice and/or assistance.

I think those punches are useful when making several holes. For just a few, which I an planning to do for another project, I will use the regular round punch and then a straight blade for the relief.

2 Likes

Cathy (@uniqueaussies) has a 4mm and a 5mm punch you can borrow. She suggests putting one hole of each size into scrap for testing.

When will you be at DMS next?

Should I bring Cathy with the punches for some coaching?

1 Like

Wow. Thank you!
I am not planning to be there til Tuesday. But if you and/or Cathy are going to be there and are willing to lend me tools and maybe even some expertise, I’ll drop by…

1 Like

We have the 5mm button hole punch in the cabinet.

3 Likes

Thank you to @Brian and @uniqueaussies Cathy!
As well as the person in CA who was so helpful but whose name I did not get. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

2 Likes