Build More Robots Class - Question

I’m moving to Dallas next month and was checking out the “Build More Robots” class that’s being hosted. I’ve been meaning to get in to robot sumo… and it looks really interesting.
I’m actually moving in the day of the first class but am really interested in attending the rest of them … would that be a problem?
I’m really excited to come and check out the DMS and get involved.

1 Like

Joe,
You are welcome to attend the remaining sessions of “Make Rore Robots”. Attendees that have built the robot will get the most benefit out of the sessions and need to be signed up for the sessions (so appropriate # of parts can be gathered). If you just want to observe the class, you do not need to sign up for the sessions. You can just come watch.

If you want to build your own robot and catch up with the class, you will need the Platform Upgrade kit (cost $5). I can bring an upgrade kit to the 2nd session, where you could take photos of a completed robot and build your own before the 3rd session. If you take this path, let me know so that I can have the Platform Upgrade kit ready.

Welcome to Dallas and the DMS!

Regards,
Doug P.

1 Like

@paradug ,
I don’t see any specific restriction language, so I am wondering if there is a minimum age for prospective attendees.
Thanks!

1 Like

That’s great! I’ll take a look and see about signing up!

1 Like

Bernard,
The intent is to allow students to attend if they are motivated, have the attention span to build the kit, and can absorb the training materials. In my experience, few students younger than 11-12 will fulfill the above requirements. Having a parent or coach attend the class with a student will help the student. It is also a good bonding experience.

As a parent deciding to enroll an interested student, I would look at the robot kit on Amazon and at the assembly YouTube video for building the stock robot (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9TXThtSUNM&t=3s). If your child could build the robot without assistance, they might be a good candidate. The second hurdle is programming. The level of programming in the series, is basic Arduino level programming. If your child is already exploring programming, or is very interested, they may be a candidate. If your child is immature or has attention span issues or isn’t interested, this series would not be a good match.

I hope this helps answer your question. Most of the attendees will be adults, but I hope some students attend.

Regards,
Doug P.

2 Likes

@paradug : the IR sensors on the Amazon link seem to be out of stock … there are other options that match that spec but just in case people get confused thought I’d mention it.

1 Like

Joe,
Some alternate Amazon vendors for the IR sensors are:

https://smile.amazon.com/FTCBlock-Infrared-Obstacle-Avoidance-Arduino/dp/B07H2TH8BH/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=10PCS+IR+Infrared+Obstacle+Avoidance+Sensor+Module+for+Arduino+Smart+Car+Robot&qid=1582294562&sr=8-13

Amazon.com:
FTCBlock 10PCS IR Infrared Obstacle Avoidance Sensor Module for Arduino Smart Car Robot: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: FTCBlock 10PCS IR Infrared Obstacle Avoidance Sensor Module for Arduino Smart Car Robot: Camera & Photo

smile.amazon.com

Amazon Sign-In

The first vendor is actually cheaper than the OSOYOO sensors recommended. All of the above are PRIME, so delivery should be quick.

I am more concerned about the robot kit running out, because alternatives are somewhat more expensive.

Regards,

Doug P.

1 Like