Buffer use in Vector area

Vector folks, understand there is a buffer in your area. I’ve got some motorcycle parts to make shiny. Is there anything special to consider when using the machine? Is it BYO wheels and polish? Could not find details.

1 Like

Assuming you’re talking about the big one in the back, I would say there’s a lot of work to do before we get the buffer ready for public consumption. (Maybe you could help us out with that; come to our virtual committee meeting Thursday and we can get you up to speed!).

In short, I am told this buffer is a serious tool that can put out serious RPMs and torque, and easily send things flying. We imported a piece of thick bulletproof glass from an old bank in South Philly :joy: that should be able to at least impede anything the buffer chooses to cast into a projectile, but it needs to be mounted and I think @hon1nbo was planning to help do some welding for its frame (your life will depend on this welding, so there are few others besides Jim we trust in this regard :wink:).

Besides that, we’ll need to put together a training program on safety procedures and best practices so that you shouldn’t have to put the glass or Jim’s welds to the test. If you have any experience to contribute on these matters, please let us know. I would imagine VECTOR should be capable of providing wheels and polish, and will have to check on any safety issues around allowing folks to use their own.

@Shawn_Christian can explain the current state of the buffer as well.

For the glass (as the person who donated it since I don’t do ballistics photography anymore as a hobby), I’m just gonna put it in some C channel and weld to a base. It will be movable.

Not the monster - supposed to be a small one 1 HP or so.

Metal shop has some 3/4 HP bench units. When we installed a new unit the buffing wheels were trashed so we tossed on some grinding wheels for the time being (note to self: order buffing wheels). You’re free to bring your own wheel in the interim. 8" Delta units. Self-study training to use them (read the signs on the units, take quiz via QR code or get someone who is trained to spot train you)