Broken Thunder Laser

@toussaintpeg @michaelb @Rob_Britten The Blitzen laser is working now. I had to change the USB cable and restart. Then it started working fine for me using LightBurn.

2 Likes

Amazing, thank you

Thanks!

After Donner is sorted it would be good to get blitzen and big thunder networked instead of the USB cables. That should solve a lot of these connectivity issues. I’ll be in to poke around at some point this week, now that lemons is done.

@michaelb So, a weird thing happened with the USB. The next guy logged in and we had to unplug and plug in the USB cable again. I had to use LightBurn because the other program still got the same error.

@michaelb I connected to WiFi on the Donner PC and looked at the IP settings. I’m not sure if it’s right, but the Host Name being LASER-BLITZEN was confusing when the Blitzen laser isn’t even on the network. I don’t have admin credentials, and I’m not sure what the values should be, so I couldn’t do much more than log this for whatever it’s worth.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LASER-BLITZEN
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : dms.local
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : dms.local

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 70-85-C2-CD-6B-3D
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.202.236(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.200.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.200.37
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

@Team_Laser Is there an action plan in place to get the Big Thunder fixed? A timeline?

Laser maintenance is done on a volunteer basis, like 99% of things at the space. So, sometimes repairs take longer than others. We generally do not have a plan for simple repairs like an unleveled bed, because generally the blocker is volunteer time, not materials or tools.

It should take two people and 30-60 minutes to level the bed out. If anyone is interested in doing so message me and I can get you the tools needed.

1 Like

That should be correct for now. It’ll change when VLANs are set up.

‘LASER-BLITZEN’ was intended was ‘LASER’ committee, and the computer that drives the ‘BLITZEN’ laser. The lasers themselves were kept off the network until recently, and they don’t have hostnames at all so there won’t be any conflicts.

1 Like

I am aware maintenance is voluntary. Thus my inquiry. I would be beyond elated to be on that list of volunteers that have access and ability to do maintenance on the laser, as someone that frequents the Makerspace. I am not sure who the current volunteers are so when small issues go weeks, I turned to talk to ask the laser team if there was a roadmap or plan, that I may have not been privileged to.

1 Like

I mean, you are a part of ‘anyone’, and like I said, if anyone is interested in fixing the laser, message me and I can get you the tools needed.

Laser maintenance is subject to a lot of burnout (like we’re seeing now) because people poke and prod the volunteers that do fix things about timelines and user errors instead of what they can do to be helpful. I’m sure you don’t intend to, I’m just letting you know that’s probably why you didn’t get a response the first time you asked.

Remember, it’s been less than a week since the issue was first reported on talk.

One. I’ve LITERALLY NEVER poked and prodded anyone. I’ve been a member of Makerspace almost two years and this is my FIRST time getting on here about anything maintenance related.
Two. It was my understanding you are required to go through additional training to volunteer for maintenance. Hence my statement of I would be happy to become a volunteer. If anyone can volunteer, then again I would be elated and will reach out for the tools.
Three. How else would you suggest asking volunteers if they are going to do what they volunteered to do beside asking?

1 Like

For awareness, a loud beeping alarm started ~18:00 this evening. Traced it to the “Industrial Chiller CW-5200” sitting on the floor next to Blitzen (which is down presently). The red “alarm” light was flashing and could not get to stop without turning it off (which someone did).

Not clear why the chiller would be alarming. It’s turned off presently. Can someone weigh in?

Open an issue in the Issues and Requests section.
@Team_Laser

easy check is the water level. Did it put a code out? the manual is available online with all the error codes.

I believe distilled water is needed to replenish the fluids

Thank you so much. @michaelb is correct that we do burn out. New energy and skill like yours is truly needed in this committee and others.

Did you get the training requested? It’s often done at the monthly laser meeting if you did not.