Bridgeport Spindle Not Releasing

Hello,

Got to the shop pretty early and saw a few tools were left out on the Bridgeport but no sign saying anything was in progress, so I went ahead with my work. After finishing some planning work I found that the spindle wouldn’t release the face mill.

I went through the past posts relating to this for troubleshooting purposes and:

• The quill is fully retracted
  • Air is on
  • A little ‘love tap’ did not help

The quill also feels / sounds (based on attempted release) engaged - I shifted it into neutral and slowly raised the spindle whilst manually turning it to challenge this and don’t believe it to be disengaged.

Anywho, I had used this face mill last night without issue so there’s a fair chance that some of the work done last night may be related to what is going on (just hunting for clues, here).

Thank you,

Did you get it out yet? There are times where under use that the spindle will heat up. It will cause the tool/collet to get stuck until it cools a little bit. Shouldn’t take too long, just a few minutes.

I did not get it out before having left this morning. Between the first and last attempt, I imagine something on the order of 45 minutes had elapsed, so thermal expansion I feel can be safely ruled out.