Bridgeport…Ohh boy

This evening after the Machine Shop Meeting. @BobKarnaugh, @Tres0422, @Mrholthaus, @procterc & myself changed the variable speed belt. After the change we still are getting some noises that we need to track down. I think next week sometime, I’ll do some more exploratory looking into it. Here are some pictures.

11 Likes

I’m no expert, but I don’t think the belt is supposed to look like that.

5 Likes

The best part is that it shreddded the actual part number, so you can’t use it for reference to the new one. It’s very clearly oil resistant and Bando Power Max brand, in size mumble mumble six oh four oh…

Is that black stuff dirt or metal chips, how did it get inside the cover?

Belt debris.
Timing belts on cars look like this if you let them go too long, too. Flings tiny flecks of rubber and glass fibre (or whatever the belt uses for reinforcement) EVERYWHERE.

Thank you all for working on this. I happened to see you on the cameras around 10pm so I know you invested a great deal of time. Thank you for all you do.

4 Likes
3 Likes

The powderized belt debris found inside the housing functions as a sound deadener. Wow, was the machine loud after being cleaned up. Fortunately, the trash can into the debris was deposited wasn’t dumped yet. So this week we will have to repack the housing. You’ll see how much quieter the machine will run.

7 Likes