Bridgeport Mill Project Class

Hello DMS,

I am looking to teach a project based course for the Bridgeport Vertical Mill in the DMS Machine Shop.
I will teach to a small class size (1-2 students). The students will take home their project pieces, a business card holder:

This will be a highly hands on course set where you would learn how to run the machine, set up your work, select the proper cutters feeds and speeds, and how to ensure you produce it with reasonable accuracy.

The course will be broken up into two 3 hour sessions.
The first session will deal with running the machine, setting up the work, and squaring your part.
The second session will deal with cutting the features on the part.

The course cost is $50 a person. This costs covers a donation to the DMS Machine Shop Committee for use of their tools/machine, cost of materials (each student will take home a part they machined), and for my time in instruction.

There is no prerequisite for this course, however you will have to follow DMS Machine Shop safety requirements (full length pants, closed toe shoes, safety glasses, no dangling jewelry, hair tied back).
Also realize that this course WILL NOT fulfill requirements to use the mill independently. You will still need to complete @Photomancer 's Basic Mill Course.

If anyone is interested in taking this course, please reply.

Thanks all!

I’d be interested!

When are you looking to have the classes?

$50 with a pre-req for a class that the description says the first 3 hours of which will be a review of the pre-req, I’ve taken @Photomancer’s class on the Sherline mill, and it covers running the machine, setting up and squaring/truing/facing a piece (I am assuming his Bridgeport basics class does too.) Seems steep.

I’d be a no. Especially when you’re essentially just teaching how to make one slot pocket, and one more complex pocket on the other side that extends past the walls (hard to tell with only a top view) in the remaining 3 hours. And maybe the value is in more hands on work with guidance, that’s just not my typical learning mode.

If this class also gave me permission to use the mill, and or was a more complex milling project, I might reconsider. I know this isn’t an “I’m interested” post, but I’m offering some feedback on what might increase interest. If this post is out of line, someone please let me know, and I’ll happily delete.

1 Like

I know you are making the class small to allow more hands-on time. Is there a way you could accommodate three people? That way it would be honorarium-eligible and the student fee could possibly be reduced.

1 Like

During the weekends would probably be ideal.

If I didn’t have a wedding to go to this weekend I’d do it then.

How about next weekend, the 29th and 30th of July? I’d prefer earlier in the day, say 9am?

I believe @photomancer mentioned that this class along with the sherline classes would qualify for independent use on the mill. You would have to ask him directly about that.

I’m a bit confused to your comment. To clarify, my course DOES NOT have a pre-req.
I didn’t mention the point about combining this project class with the sherline class because it is not set in stone.

To your other points, this class is definitely geared toward people who have no experience on a milling machine. I’m okay with taking them through step by step and imparting good practices along the way.

Thanks for your comment, I don’t mind criticism and I gained value from reviewing your thoughts.

1 Like

If I could guarantee only 3 people show up,sure. But to ensure I would have at least 3 people, I would need to open up the class size to at least 5-6 people.

If I taught a class of 5-6 people, it would take way longer than 3 hours, and the amount of time each person gets to spend on the machine is really reduced. With a small group, (1-2) there is a lot more I can impart and let them do without having to round up a bunch of people.

When I was at university, I used to teach a similar class to 10 people or so but I had 3 machines and a helper and that was still stretching it.

Is effectively a pre-req, since I cant repeat the project on my own later. My comment was in increasing the value if it also allowed me to use the bridgeport on my.own later. Also, if i have talem bridgeport basics, then it looks like i will be repeating a lot of coursework.

1 Like

Not a pre-req to take my class, but yes I see your point. Again, Machine Shop Committee needs to decide of my project class along with the sherline mill classes would allow people to use the Bridgeport mill independently.

Concerning your second point, if a student has taken the Bridgeport basics course and wants to take my class, I think that would actually make it easier to take my class. I will spend less time instructing on how to use the machine and more time on how to machine effectively, which I think has a lot of value.If there is extra time in either session I would be happy to show the student to drill and tap a hole, or ream a hole, or other operations not directly related to the project.

Now if you have a halfway decent amount of actual hands on experience, you will find this project trivial.
However if you have not touched a milling machine, I think this project is a great way to get your feet wet, learn what the machine can do, and experience the joy of machining.

2 Likes

A bit more detailed explanation. Josh went over the proposed course with Nick Silva and myself and I had saw Josh as he progressed on the prototype for this class and reviewed several ways to achieve aligning material for cutting angles, which I’m sure you’ll learn.

If you’ve had neither the Bridgeport or Sherline Mill course you’ll still have to take one or the other. However, if you’ve had the Sherline Mill course, taking this will complete the requirements for the Bridgeport since this course will go everything that is specialized for the Bridgeport plus more and you’ll have a lot more machining time beyond the demo cuts in in the other classes.

This class would be excellent for the person that doesn’t have much experience machining, doesn’t know “what to make”, wants to apply/develop their skills to making an actual project, and would benefit from from one-on-one or one-on-two individualized instruction.

While $50 may seem like a lot, Josh will have about 7 hours invested. He offered on his own to make a contribution of 25% to Machine Shop since there won’t be an honorarium involved for either himself or the Machine Shop, he’s also purchased the materials he’ll be using (SWAG he’ll make about $4.65/hr if 1 student and exceed minimum wage with 2 students at $9.30/hr. If you can find personal instruction for cheaper than that - good luck.) This is less than he’d get he taught at least 3 and collected two Honorariums.

It’s a nice simple project that will actually give you something nice to display on your desk. Also, you’ll be working out the date and time for the class - that has to be worth something in and of itself.

4 Likes

Thanks @Photomancer that makes a lot of cents. My biggest concern was on investing 6 hours into a class with a tool that I still wouldn’t be able to use at the end of the class, even though the purpose of the class was to show me how to use the tool to make a product, using skills from the class that lets me be allowed to use the tool.

With the clarifications from Josh’s last comment and this one, I understand the true intent of the course a lot better.

2 Likes

After you take this class, you will have actually used it to produce something (beyond chips on the floor to clean-up with the practice block provided in the regular class), using various tools, cutters, and measuring devices.

Anyone that takes the class, if they get with me for about 30 minutes at the machine, I’ll go over the specifics, mostly related to Safety and Machine Shop rules, which are covered in both Sherline and Bridgeport classes, which is why I said if you’d already taken the Sherline course you’d get credit as qualified on the Bridgeport.

Machine Shop wants to make sure that those are covered - although I’m sure you’ll get those, we want to make sure that you have. So add-on my one-on-one time … when you catch me at the Space we can do it. For the beginner, this is a sweet little project.

1 Like

Maybe you could just coach Josh on what those essentials would be. Then he could do a 30 minute long session right before his “primary” class for those who need it. That way people could get “certified” on the Bridgeport as a result of Josh’s class, and you wouldn’t have to be there to do it.

Having another person qualified as a Bridgeport instructor would be a good thing, too.

1 Like

He is qualified as a Bridgeport instructor. He shadowed a class. 30 minutes I’d say would be the outside. But just making sure at this time. Not a reflection on Josh, he’s very good. It’s more along policy issues of Machine Shop. I’ll talk with him some more, maybe a check list of items or something the student has to sign as read and reviewed during class. I don’t want to get into dictating what he has to teach - it’s already 6 hours.

I’m also looking to do short classes for people that have taken either the Bridgeport class or the Sherline for the opposite machine. The machining and safety principles are the same - it would be just learning the specifics of the machine controls, loading tools, etc. I figure these could be 60-90 classes. Could do 8 people at a time verses 6. It saves us all time and avoids duplicating the same material. Would maximize the amount of machines available for members to use. Want to see people doing things!

1 Like

The class would bring more value if it alone would qualify people to use the Bridgeport independently (per @quingin) .
I would be happy to integrate the necessary content as long as I can keep my class size small, and not have it add too much more time to the course. I think there is a lot of overlap as far as safety and competencies covered. @Photomancer & @nicksilva we can work together to decide what needs to be added to my course outline to satisfy the Machine Shop Committee’s requirements to run the Bridgeport independently.

1 Like

Have no problem with that. @nicksilva? Easier for everyone.

1 Like

no, no problem at all. I’ve always thought this should qualify as training.good job!

3 Likes