Brake Job Advice

Disc brakes look like this(typically almost all modern cars/trucks will have this as front brakes)
disc

Drum brakes look like this(typically used on rears where mfgs don’t want to spend on costs of discs)
drum

Ok I should be there about the same time come find me and we’ll pull your car in and take a look.

2 Likes

Ah! It must be drums then cuz it’s a fairly cheap Toyota hatchback.

I pulled off my hubcap to get a better look but I can’t get a very good look at it without taking the wheel off.

2 Likes

If it’s the front it will be disc. Not very many mfgs use drums for the front any more.
The information should also be on the Monroney sticker(window sticker) that came with the car new and perhaps in the owner’s manual as well.

Don’t forget to let @TLAR know if you have discs on all four wheels or just the front’s if you would like to have him put an order for you at the Will Call.

P.S. The typical ratio of how often brake pads/shoes are replaced between front brakes to rear brakes I’ve seen is 2-3 front’s to 1 rear.

2 Likes

Really impressed at the willingness of everyone to get me pointed in the right direction!

I understand that paying members for work is verboten but I’d like to make a donation to the Automotive Committee at the very least.

I PM’d TLAR, didn’t think to consult the owner’s manual, but from what you’ve said I’m sure the rear ones are drums and I think they need to be replaced as well.

1 Like

Just like you contribute often and frequently you are experiencing “What goes around comes around.”

Actually, members do this for whoever asks.

I’ve been told that I should be less hesitant to ask for help. Something about my independent personality makes that difficult for me.

I find this odd. You’re very open and giving - why do think you cannot ask for help. When you get assistance to LEARN how to do this, there are usually a couple of members that will watch and learn also - so more than you benefit.

Also, like yourself - many member’s enjoy transferring their knowledge to others. So who are you to deny them enjoyment! :wink::rofl: Don’t be selfish - ask! I think DMS is unique that everyone here has knowledge and needs knowledge and it is readily available for both. The expectation is you’re here to learn and hopefully teach. No one thinks less of anyone that asks for help - they have in the past.

1 Like

Boy do I get that one.

BTW, @TLAR is amazingly giving of his time and help with parts. You cant pay folks with money, but I bet they’d appreciate some pizza and/or beer. He likes gingerbread also, if you can make that into a beer then all the better.

2 Likes

He likes the Blue/Purple Gatoade to drink when working. Anyone that has had Tom give of his time knows how generous he is.

2 Likes

@tombakerftw we can check it all tonight and see what you actually need and I will give you a walk through of how to do it on your car hands on while we check it out.

3 Likes

Justin,

Let me know on the rear brakes - I couldn’t tell from the pic.

Disc or Drum

1 Like

Daniel actually. 90% sure it’s drum brakes based on info from this thread

2 Likes

They are not “shiny” enough in the photo you sent me - so I am thinking drum as well, but I’d prefer to be sure.

1 Like

Rear brakes usually out last front brakes by a long margin. I would suggest that Justin takes a look at your brakes front and rear this evening and we proceed from there.
I see no point in throwing money away on unnecessary repairs.

3 Likes

You an Allen are more similar than you know.

2 Likes

Polite, courteous and willing to help others ?

3 Likes

Except when it comes to wooden brakes. Tom is not as “experimental” he’s pretty old school about that.

1 Like

If you ever find yourself interested in wooden brake pads, I @Know someone…

I went ahead and put pads and rotors on will call for you.
Total will tax is $71.35
Order # 3000053729
You may pick them up between 730am & 3pm.
If anything changes or you need and air filter or serpentine belt etc, just PM me or post here.

2 Likes